Meaning of “It’s My Life” by Talk Talk
Over the years, many have postulated that Talk Talk’s “It’s My Life” is about a man in a relationship with an unfaithful partner whom he is well aware cheats on him. And although the lyrics are quite-ambiguous, that seems for the most part to be correct. The main character (the singer) is “in love” with someone whom he is seemingly ‘blinding himself’ to what she is actually doing. And apparently she is not faithful – either that or doing something else which greatly upsets him and indeed makes him feel like a ‘loser’.
And that brings us to the title of the song. Upon realizing the aforementioned, the singer asserts that “it’s (his) life”. He seems to be doing so in defiance, as a statement of refusing to terminate a relationship with someone whom he probably should. So the primary sentiments expressed through the song seem to be tantamount to the singer declaring his right to live his life the way he chooses while simultaneously lamenting about the trouble which is ever present therein.
Facts about “It’s My Life”
- This is the title track from Talk Talk’s second album.
- Upon its initial release on 13 January 1984, “It’s My Life” only managed to reach number 46 on its native UK Singles Chart. However, when it was re-released as part of Natural History: The Very Best of Talk Talk in 1990, it managed to peak at number 13.
- Moreover on the Billboard Hot 100, it reached a peak position of 31.
- A cover of “It’s My Life” by No Doubt (headed by Gwen Stefani) also charted in both the UK and US in 2003.
- “It’s My Life” has been featured on a handful of video games, including “Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories”.
Who wrote “It’s My Life”?
This song was written by Talk Talk’s lead singer Mark Hollis. Hollis wrote this classic in conjunction with Tim Friese-Greene (who produced it).