“Birthday Cake” by Rihanna
“Birthday Cake” is a song written and recorded by Barbadian singer Rihanna centered on intimacy. She uses cake as a metaphor to describe the parts of her body her lover desires.
In the song, Rihanna claims though it’s not her birthday, she’s getting the kind of intimate adventure that most people only get on their birthdays. The experience for her is so exciting that she urges her lover to go on and blow her away. Another version of the song which features her ex-boyfriend Chris Brown, gets naughtier and deeper. They both remind each other of their past intimate encounters, while capturing their wild fantasies.
Rihanna on “Birthday Cake”
Rihanna explained to Ryan Seacrest on KIIS FM that she collaborated with Chris Brown, despite the abuse and former relationship because she thought that he was the only person that made sense to do the track. She added that she was having so many nasty thoughts which reflected in her lyrics at that time because she was single and not getting any action.
Facts about “Birthday Cake”
- Ernest Clark together with Terius Nash (The-Dream), Rihanna, and Marcos Palacios teamed up to compose “Birthday Cake”.
- American songwriter/producer, Kuk Harrell, who has produced several other hit tracks for Rihanna, is credited for producing this tune. He received production assistance from the likes of Nash and Da Internz.
- “Birthday Cake” was included as the 6th track on the Barbadian superstar’s 6th studio album, which is titled, Talk That Talk.
- Rihanna and Chris Brown recorded a remix of this tune. This version was released on 20th February 2012, which coincided with the 24th birthday of Rihanna.
- This track performed well on several charts around the world. It hit No.24 on Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- “Birthday Cake” is sampled in the 2014 song “3 Gold Chains”, which was performed by American rap artist, Waka Flocka Flame (ft. Troy Ave).
- Rihanna performed “Birthday Cake” for the first time on the Saturday Night Live (SNL) TV variety show on 5th May 2012.