Meaning of “Another in the Fire” by Hillsong UNITED
In general, “Another in the Fire” is a song of Christian faith, as by paying attention to the lyrics, a listener can become privy of many of the basic ideologies which dominate this religion. For instance, there is the idea that God or one of His representatives is always within close proximity of the faithful.
There is also the notion that Jesus died for the shortcomings of the believer, as well as the concept of sin being a form of ‘slavery’. Moreover, we are presented with the refusal of the singers to subjugate themselves to worldly aspirations, etc.
In particular, as in what the phrase “another in the fire” actually alludes to, it is the Biblical tale of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego found in the Old Testament “Book of Daniel”. To put things briefly, all people, including these three men, under the jurisdiction of King Nebuchadnezzar were ordered to worship an idol or face the penalty of being hurled into a furnace. Due to their religious beliefs, Shadrach and co. refused, of course not desiring to be burnt alive but under the faith that if God so wills, He will save them from such a terrible fate.
Ultimately the men were indeed cast into the fire, but instead of just the three of them in the furnace, there appeared four men. The fourth being an angel or as some people believe Jesus. The long and short of the story is that Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the furnace, unscathed.
Likewise, Hillsong United are expressing their faith that they too are under such protection. This is not due to them facing a similar fiery trail but is rather a general elucidation of their belief system that a Higher Power is always present to not only safeguard but, if necessary, perform miracles on their behalf also.
Facts about “Another in the Fire”
- Artist(s): The song’s primary artists are the Australian worship band called Hillsong UNITED (also known as just UNITED).
- Songwriter(s): The song was written by UNITED member and leader Joel Houston along with Chris Davenport.
- Production: Joel Houston teamed up with his fellow Hillsong UNITED member Michael Guy Chislett to produce “Another in the Fire”.
- Release Date: “Another in the Fire” was formally dropped (via Hillsong Music) on March 15, 2019.
- Interesting Stuff: According to the song’s co-writer, Davenport, the song came to him some years ago while he was at church.
On which album is “Another in the Fire”?
The track appears on UNITED’s 2019 album titled PEOPLE (Live). It is the 10th track on that album.