Alt-J is an English rock band which traces its origins back to 2007. Their original lineup consisted of the musicians below:
- Joe Newman (frontman)
- Gus Unger-Hamilton (keyboard)
- Thom Sonny Green(drum)
- Gwil Sainsbury (bass)
However, Sainsbury left the group in 2014.
In 2012 Alt-J released their first album, “An Awesome Wave”. Said project earned them a Mercury Prize as well as an Ivor Novello Award. It also produced their famous single “Fitzpleasure“. And building off this success, their second album, “This Is All Yours” (2014), made its debut on top of the UK Singles Chart.
Concerning the band’s unique name, some readers would recognize it as a keyboard shortcut. What that shortcut is said to produce (on Apple computers) is a triangle. As such, it has been noted that the band’s actual name is the symbol Δ. And accordingly, they have been known to incorporate triangles into their music in various ways.
Throughout the years Alt-J have been nominated for a bunch of awards in addition to the ones aforementioned. These include the following:
- AIM Independent Music Award (Independent Breakthrough of the Year, 2012)
- An NME Award (Best British Band, 2018)
- Five UK Video Music Awards (2012-2018)
- A YouTube Music award (50 Artists to Watch, 2015)
- A Webby Award (Best Art Director, 2018)