Meaning of “First Began” by PJ Morton
In “First Began”, PJ Morton longs to experience the type of pleasing sensations he had when he and his sweetheart first fell in love. This includes the two of them having the same disposition they had at that time.
He thinks that their relationship may be special. Owing to this, he advises his love to stay committed to it. Indeed he acknowledges that he is never going to get another opportunity to love such a special person.
The somewhat-perplexing aspect of this song is that he starts the choruses by stating a prerequisite of the possibility of them falling in love again is based on him dying and finding his sweetheart again “in another life”. The lyrics are probably phrased that way to symbolize the singer’s belief that a great transformation is needed in order to restore the relationship to its former state. This is also likely indicative of him singing from the perspective of someone whose heart is broken. In other words, his desire is not to take his current romance back to a former state but rather restore one that has already been terminated.
Facts about “First Began”
- Writer(s): “First Began” was also written by PJ Morton.
- Producers(s): The multi-talented Morton not only wrote this track, but he also produced the track.
- Album/EP: This is the first song off of JP’s “Gumbo” (2017), his fourth solo album, as he is also a member of Maroon 5.
- Release Date: The release date for this track was 21 April 2017
- Record Label: It was released on JP’s own label, Morton Records, based in New Orleans.
- Interesting Stuff: This song was nominated for two Grammy Awards in the Best R&B Performance and Best R&B Song categories. The video for “First Began” features a number of celebrity couples reminiscing on their early days together. It also has Morton’s children playing the role of he and his wife during their younger years.