Meaning of “Mama Cry” by YNW Melly
In “Mama Cry”, YNW Melly sings from the standpoint of someone serving time in prison. Or to be more specific, Melly composed this song when he was literally locked up back in 2017. In it, he is imploring his mother not to lament over the fact that he is incarcerated.
As the reader may already be aware, YNW is currently (as of February 2019) facing very-serious legal issues that may result in him spending the rest of his young life in prison. Based on the timing of the release of this song as a single and the accompanying music video, if those allegations are true, it can be said that “Mama Cry” is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as in Melly knew very well the possibility that he may be re-incarcerated. However, this track was already recorded and released before the actual murder he is accused of took place. So he is not specifically referring to that incident as the cause of his imprisonment.
The song itself gives a terse yet compelling look at life behind bars for the youthful Melly. He suffered a lot not only due to the substandard conditions he had to physically live in but also the inner turmoil he experienced due to putting his mom through such emotional pain. He doesn’t try to play the innocent role. Rather he admits his guilt and requests forgiveness from both God and his mother.
Quick Facts about “Mama Cry”
- Writer(s): This song was written exclusively by YNW Melly.
- Album/EP: This is the sixth song from Melly’s 2018 debut album, I Am You.
- Release Date: This track was released on 3 August 2018.
- Record Label: The label behind the release of “Mama Cry” is 300 Entertainment.
- Interesting Stuff: On the same day the music video for “Mama Cry” dropped, YNW Melly was denied bail in the double-murder case he is currently facing. The two guys YNW is accused of killing were part of his rap crew and indeed also went by the tag “YNW”.