Meaning of “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
“Shallow” is a song from the 2018 musical romantic drama film titled A Star Is Born. The song is performed by American singer Lady Gaga and American actor Bradley Cooper. This powerful ballad sees the singers/narrators (Gaga and Cooper) exchanging profound lines about diving into the deep end and leaving the shallow area behind. Their sole reason for staying away from the shallow is in order to be safe from the world.
During her interview with Zane Lowe on his radio show on Beats 1, Lady Gaga shed more light on the lyrics of this tune. According to her, the lyrics focus on two individuals “talking to each other” about their burning desire to “dive into the deep” and be as far away from the “shallow area” as possible. She went on to refer to the song as a very special one. Gaga also revealed that the tune was made for the characters Ally and Jackson from the film A Star Is Born.
Facts about “Shallow”
- “Shallow” was written by Lady Gaga alongside three other songwriters, including the noted English musician and record producer Mark Ronson. The other two songwriters are Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt.
- Gaga produced this track along with American music producer Benjamin Rice. Aside Gaga, Rice has worked with include Britney Spears, Robin Thicke and Selena Gomez.
- The tune was premiered on September 27, 2018 on Zane Lowe’s radio show on Beats 1.
- “Shallow” is one of the 34 tracks on the soundtrack album of the musical film A Star Is Born. The official title of that soundtrack album is A Star Is Born Soundtrack.
- In her interview with Lowe during the song’s premier, Gaga revealed that Cooper was the one who personally pitched the entire project to her. She said the actor visited her at her house where they both performed “Midnight Special” by the band Creedence Clearwater Revival. Gaga further revealed that upon hearing Cooper’s singing voice she was instantly “blown away by it”.
Does Lady Gaga appear in the movie A Star Is Born?
Yes. She plays the character Ally, who is a singer-songwriter and the love interest and mentor of Cooper’s character Jackson Maine. FYI: the film was directed and co-produced by Cooper. In addition to that, he also co-wrote the screenplay.
Is this the first time that Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga have worked together?
Yes. “Shallow” marks the first ever collaboration between the two stars.