“I’ll Never Love Again” by Lady Gaga
“I’ll Never Love Again” is based on the narrator (Lady Gaga) lamenting over a lost love. This song is actually the closing number from the 2018 movie A Star Is Born. And within the context of that film, it is centered on Lady Gaga’s character reeling from the suicide of her husband played by Bradley Cooper, who actually performs “I’ll Never Love Again” with Gagaloo on the track’s “Film Version”.
By virtue of this, the song opens up with Gaga upset that she never had the chance to tell her lover “goodbye” before his departure. In the second verse, she recounts the great influence he has had on her life, as prior to his arrival, Gaga “never thought (she) would fall” so powerfully in love with someone. But now she is faced with the unenviable position of having to face life without her soulmate.
Indeed in the chorus, we find that she does not have the desire to entertain another man – the sentiment this song is more or less based on. Succinctly stated, Gaga is not only convinced that she will “never love again” but also has no genuine interest in doing so.
By and large, this is a sad song in which the singer is so devastated by the unexpected loss of her lover that she is finding it difficult to imagine life without him.
Lady Gaga actually lost someone close to her
The performance of this song was actually influenced by the fact that just before recording it a close friend of Lady Gaga’s actually died from cancer, with the death of a loved one basically being what the track is based on.
Facts about “I’ll Never Love Again”
- “I’ll Never Love Again” was written by Lady Gaga in addition to Aaron Raitiere, Hillary Lindsey and Natalie Hemby.
- Gaga also handled production of the track, alongside Benjamin Rice.
- “I’ll Never Love Again” was officially released on 5 October 2018. The label behind its release was Interscope Records.
- This track is featured on 2018’s A Star Is Born (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). The global hit “Shallow” also appears on the just mentioned project.
- In 2019, Molly Hocking (winner of the The Voice UK 2019) recorded a critically acclaimed rendition of this song. Her version of the song played an instrumental role in helping her win the 2019 edition of The Voice UK.
There are actually two versions of “I’ll Never Love Again”. The Film Version features Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga’s love interest in A Star Is Born. Meanwhile Gaga is the only artist on the Extended Version.
This track reached number-one on Slovakia’s Singles Digitál Top 100. It also charted in several other countries, including Australia, Canada, France, the United Kingdom and the United States. It was eventually certified gold in Australia and silver in the United Kingdom.
Though peaking at only number-36 on the Billboard Hot 100, “I’ll Never Love Again” was well-received by prominent American music critics, especially within the context of A Star Is Born.