Meaning of “Voyage, Voyage” by Desireless
Voyage, Voyage is a song performed by French singer Desireless. The lyrics of the song, which are entirely written in French, talk about traveling – traveling to many beautiful, wonderful and sacred destinations all over the world. The French word for “travel”, as some readers might already know, is “voyage”. So the English translation of the title “Voyage Voyage” is “Travel Travel”. Lyrically, Voyage, Voyage encourages the listener to travel and travel and never stop traveling
In the song, some of the notable and wonderful places mentioned include the following:
- Mount Fuji (Fujiyama), which at a height of 12, 389 ft, is the highest mountain in Japan.
- The Ganges (also known as Ganga), which is a famous river that flows through Bangladesh and India. The Ganges is one of the largest rivers in the world and a lifeline to millions of people in the two countries that it passes through.
- The legendary Amazon rainforest located in South America.
- The Sahara desert, which is located in North Africa. The Sahara is the largest hot desert in the world.
The lyrics of Voyage, Voyage basically encourage eternal traveling, through the above wonderful and breathtaking places and many more.
Facts about “Voyage, Voyage” by Desireless
- The song was the first song Desireless released as a professional musician. The song came out in December 1986 and was a single from her debut album François.
- Contrary to popular belief, Voyage, Voyage wasn’t written by Desireless (whose real name is Claudie Fritsch-Mentrop). The song was written by songwriters Dominique Albert Dubois and Jean-Michel Rivat, who handled the production of the song.
- Voyage, Voyage was one of the most popular songs in Europe in the 1980s, reaching the number one spot in several European countries, including Germany, Denmark, Spain, and Greece. Ironically it failed to reach number one in her own home country of France.
- Till date, the song, which Desireless sang entirely in her native tongue French, remains one of the few non English language songs to have been able to achieve the remarkable feat of becoming an international hit.
- Voyage, Voyage was so successful it sold over 5 million copies globally, making it one of the most successful French songs ever written.
- Since Voyage, voyage was released in December 1986, the song has been covered by several artists. The most famous cover of the song was by Belgian singer and songwriter Kae Ryan in 2008. Kate’s cover was also very successful in Europe.