Queen’s “You’re My Best Friend” Lyrics Meaning
“You’re My Best Friend” is a song penned by former Queen bass guitarist John Deacon. It was written in 1975, the same year that Deacon married his wife, Veronica Tetzlaff, and accordingly, it is dedicated to her. It is also interesting to note that as of now, over 4 decades years later, John and Veronica are still married.
And as evident from this song, his love for her was very much present from the start. For instance, he defines her as being the personification of all the world has to offer to him. In fact she is the one who actually gives him life. And even when he wanders astray, he has to come back to her, not only for the joy he experiences in her company but also because she is the one who has stood with him through thick and thin. In fact when life seems unfavorable to John, Veronica is the first one to show her support.
Another notable characteristic that the subject of this song possesses is her ability to make the world in general seem like a better place to the singer. And all of this ultimately boils down to him coming to the conclusion that she is his “best friend” and in fact has become an invaluable part of his earthly existence.
Facts about “You’re My Best Friend”
- “You’re My Best Friend” was entirely written by John Deacon (Queen’s former bass guitarist). Deacon wrote the song about his beloved wife, Veronica Tetzlaff whom he got married to in 1975. Interestingly enough, the year of their marriage was the same year the song was penned.
- Deacon wanted the band to write a song incorporating an electric piano. And since Queen’s lead singer and pianist, Freddie Mercury, had a dislike for this instrument, Deacon learned to play one himself in order to compose this track.
- The members of Queen produced this song along with English music producer and arranger Roy Thomas Baker.
- “You’re My Best Friend” was released as a single on 18 May 1976.
- A rendition of “You’re My Best Friend” by Justin Timberlake is featured on the soundtrack of “Trolls Holiday”, an animated TV special that aired in 2017. The song has also been covered by other artists such as the Supernaturals (1997) and Stevie Ann (2014).
- This song has been featured on a number of television shows and movies. For example, it features in a 2017 episode of The Simpsons and the full-length motion pictures such as Shaun of the Dead (2004), The Break-Up (2006) and I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (2007).
- The music video to “You’re My Best Friend”, which features over 1000 candles, was filmed at Elstree Studios in London during April of 1976. Popular English TV director Bruce Growers directed the clip.
- This song proved to be a commercial success for Queen. It charted in various countries, including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States. In the latter country, it ended up being certified platinum.
On which Queen album does “You’re My Best Friend” appear?
This is the fourth song on the first side of Queen’s 1975 album “A Night at the Opera”, which was their fourth studio album overall. Additional Queen albums this song is featured on are: Live Killers (1979) and Greatest Hits (1981). Furthermore, the song was also featured Queen’s 2009 compilation album titled Absolute Greatest (2009). In 2014, it once again was featured in another compilation album by the band titled Queen Forever.