Meaning of “Lucky You” by Eminem (feat. Joyner Lucas)
“Lucky You” is a song by American hip hop recording artist Eminem. Fellow American rapper Joyner Lucas is featured on this track. The lyrics of “Lucky You” see Eminem ranting about the ‘sad’ state of the hip hop world today. He strongly criticizes mumble rappers and rappers who make use of ghost writers. These are themes which run throughout his 2018 surprise album titled Kamikaze.
Here are the specific lines in which Eminem uses in expressing his disdain for mumble rapping:
“Hatata batata, why don’t we make a bunch of f***in’
Songs about nothin’ and mumble!”
Joyner Lucas, on the other hand, raps about being taken granted in the rap industry. According to him, despite his serious talents, he isn’t getting the recognition and awards that he deserves from the industry. For example, in the intro, he talks about how he probably would never receive a Grammy despite wanting it very badly.
Facts about “Lucky You”
- The track was co-written by Eminem, Joyner Lucas, Boi-1da, Jahaan Sweet and Ray Fraser.
- Eminem produced the track along with IllaDaProducer and two of the song’s co-writers Jahaan Sweet and Boi-1da.
- “Lucky You” was released on August 31, 2018. It is the third track from Eminem’s chart topping tenth studio album Kamikaze.
- The chorus of the song is sung solely by Lucas.
- The phrase “lucky you” appears only once in the song.
- The track performed very well on the charts in various countries. For example it entered the top 10 in countries such as Sweden, Canada, Australia and Finland. The song debuted at number 6 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It also climbed to number 6 on the UK Singles Chart. This feat gave Lucas his first top 10 song in both the US and the UK.
- When this track and “The Ringer” debuted simultaneously on the top 10 of the Hot 100, Eminem achieved something only few artists can boast of. Other artists to have achieved this feat include Ed Sheeran and Drake.
- The official music video for “Lucky You” was released on September 13th, 2018. Below is the video:
Is this the first time Eminem and Joyner Lucas are collaborating on a track?
Yes. “Lucky You” marks the first ever collaboration between Eminem and Joyner Lucas. This is one of the things that make this collaboration very special.