Meaning of “My Blood” by Twenty One Pilots
“My Blood” is a soulful sounding track by the noted American musical duo Twenty One Pilots (twenty one pilots). The song sees lead vocalist, Tyler Joseph, talking to someone or something (my blood) to stay with him. From the lyrics, it isn’t actually clear who or what Joseph is addressing. However, whoever/whatever he is talking to, Tyler is assuring them that they don’t have to run and face this world alone, for he’ll always be there for them.
Who or what Tyler is asking to stay with him
Since the lyrics don’t state the person or thing Tyler is singing to, there have been a number of speculations as to who he is addressing. The following are some of the likely people or thing, Tyler might be singing to:
- The listener: Tyler could be addressing his fans and encouraging them not to try facing this world alone.
- Jenna Elizabeth Black: Many also believe Tyler is singing to his wife Jenna. Tyler and Jenna got married in 2015.
- Josh Dun: There are also speculations that Tyler could be talking directly to his friend Josh Dun. Josh is the drummer of Twenty One Pilots.
- His blood: Last but not least, it is also likely that Tyler could be literally referring to the blood in his veins.
Whoever or whatever the singer is singing to, he is trying to encourage them not to give up and that he will always be there for them defending and supporting them throughout the journey of life. The lyrics of “My Blood” are therefore inspirational and comforting.
Facts about “My Blood”
- As usual, the song was written by Twenty One Pilots (Tyler and Josh).
- “My Blood” was officially released on August 27th, 2018 as the fourth single from the musical duo’s fifth studio album titled Trench. It is noteworthy that prior to the song’s official release, it was leaked on Twitter. The leak occurred on the same day (August 27) that the song received its official release.
- The phrase “my blood” appears approximately eight times in the song’s lyrics.
Below is the official audio of “My Blood”. It was published on the duo’s official YouTube account on August 27th, 2018.
If you are wondering who the musician in the video of the official audio for “My Blood” is, it is none other than Tyler Joseph. The musical instrument he is holding is a bass guitar. Where is he? In a recording studio in an unknown location.
When was “My Blood” first teased to fans?
The duo first teased the song to their fans at the 2018 MTV Video Music Awards on August 20. During the awards ceremony, a snippet of “My Blood” was played just after the end of a commercial marketing Trench.
How was “My Blood” leaked?
The song was leaked in low quality by someone on Twitter on August 27 due to a problem Apple’s HomePod. The Twitter user discovered that despite the song being unreleased, he could play it on his Apple HomePod. The person then proceeded to leak the entire song onto his account on Twitter for the entire world to hear. Shortly after it was leaked, Twenty One Pilots also officially released the track. Many have speculated that the leak was what forced the song to be released earlier than planned. However, this hasn’t been confirmed.
Did Twenty One Pilots make a music video for this tune?
Yes. The official music video of this song premiered on October 5, 2018. You can watch the clip below: