“Summer” by The Carters
“Summer” has the Carters, as in Beyoncé and Shawn Carter (Jay-Z), chillin’ on the beach together. The water is deeply blue. And within this environment, they are looking forward to having a romantic interlude.
You can view the lyrics, alternate interprations and sheet music for Beyonce's Summer at Lyrics.org.
Beyoncé states that they are deeply immersed in the surroundings. While out there, she tells Jigga that he has her tireless attention. At desired times she will also invite him over. And if he responds favorably she is ready to give him her most-intimate self.
Meanwhile Jay pulls up to the beach in his pimped-out Lamborghini. He also says that an intimate interlude transpires on the seats of the car. They’re chillin’ together someplace secluded. This summer experience is so beautiful that he describes it as being divine. He also reminisces on summer nights growing up in Brooklyn. Those experiences contrast what he is currently feeling. Jay also gives a shoutout to he and Bey’s home in Bel-Air.
In all, this track’s main theme is being intimate with one’s significant other “in the summertime’. However, as noted by reggae legend Damian Marley during the outro, they are also referring to a general, “universal” love, with the album this song is featured indeed being entitled “Everything Is Love”.
Facts about “Summer”
- Writer(s): This track has a number of different writers: Mike Heron, James Fauntleroy, Thomas Brenneck, Homer Steinweiss, Leon Michels, Cool & Dre and of course Jay and Bey themselves.
- Producers(s): Cool & Dre, hailing from Miami, Florida, also produced the track.
- Album/EP: The album this song is featured on is the Carter’s Everything Is Love (2018).
- Release Date: The release date for this track was 16 June 2018.
- Record Label: The three labels responsible for releasing this song are Parkwood, Sony and Roc Nation.
- Interesting Stuff: “Summer” was recorded at the Church Studios, located within an actual former house of worship in London, England.
Did “Summer” win a Grammy?
At the 61st Annual Grammy Awards, this track was nominated for a Grammy in the category of Best R&B Performance. It was nominated along with the following tracks: