“Be Nice” by Black Eyed Peas (ft. Snoop Dogg)
As the title suggests, this song is based on a theme of positivity thinking. But the two main vocalists, the Black Eyed Peas’ Will.i.am and solo artist Snoop Dogg, take somewhat-different approaches in how they tackle this subject matter.
Will.i.am is espousing a disposition more along the lines of making a conscientious, personal effort “to cheer up”. This includes him staving off “bad vibration(s)” and, as he and his band mate Apl.de.ap suggest, ‘being nice’ and ‘just smiling’, as in forcing yourself to emanate joyfulness and as a result receiving positivity back in return.
Meanwhile the Doggfather is thinking more externally. He is encouraging “leaders” and ‘gangbangers’ to meet up, make peace and “be good to each other”. Snoop believes that efforts such as these will start a snowball effect where the “love that we (give)” will ‘keep rolling on’.
So what this track ultimately boils down to is the rappers appealing to the audience to “be nice”. The foundation of this assertion is the idea that doing so will not only ‘brighten up the day’ of the individual who is making this effort but will make the positivity infectious, as in inspire others to be happier also.
Facts about “Be Nice”
- Although this marks the first collaboration between the Black Eyed Peas and Snoop Dogg, the Doggfather has teamed up with their frontman Will.i.am in the past. The collaboration happened on the 2007 track “The Donque Song”.
- “Be Nice” has a unique backstory in that it was written as part of a contest between amateur songwriters who participated in a reality-based television contest entitled Songland. As the winner of the show, Adam Friedman’s “Be Nice” was recorded by the Black Eyed Peas. The band premiered the music video shortly after the winner was officially announced on Songland), and of course Friedman gets songwriting credit for the track.
- Adam Friedman was assisted in creating “Be Nice” by Songland celebrity judge Ester Dean.
- Other co-writers of the song are Anish Sood, Martijn Konijnenburg and of course Snoop Dogg and the Black Eyed Peas.
- “Be Nice” was released as a single on 3 June 2019.
Will.i.am’s Remarks on “Be Nice”
According to him, “the world needs pick-me-ups” in light of the “dark music” which has come to dominate the industry. And this song is a good example of that.