Meaning of “Hello” by Adele
Hello is a multiple Grammy Award winning song by British singer Adele. The lyrics of the song, which are conversational in nature, touch on a number of themes, most notable nostalgia. Regret is another prominent theme that the lyrics focus on. When the song was first released, many initially assumed that the song was about an old love relationship in Adele’s life. However this isn’t the case. In a number of interviews (including interviews with Ryan Seacrest and with renowned English television and radio presenter Nick Grimshaw), Adele explained that the lyrics of Hello aren’t about an old love relationship in her life and that she wasn’t trying to reach out to any former lover of hers. She said the lyrics do not address any specific person in her life. According to the singer, the song is about all the relationships she has had in her past, including relationships she’s had with family members, old teachers, ex-lovers, friends, and even with her fans.
Meaning of the famous line “Hello from the other side”
Speaking with Rolling Stone about this famous line from the song, Adele said she was aware that the line sounds pretty morbid (as though she was no longer alive), but in reality, the line is basically about surviving your late teens and early twenties and transforming into a full blown adult. So simply put, she is saying hello from the other side, where she is an adult.
Facts about “Hello” by Adele
- Hello was released on October 23, 2015 as the lead single from Adele’s internationally successful third studio album titled 25.
- This record-breaking song was written by Adele and American music producer and songwriter Greg Kurstin, who not only played the majority of instruments on the song, but also handled the song’s entire production.
- Adele played the drums on Hello.
- The entire writing process of the song was very long. It took about six months before the writing was finally completed.
- At the 59th Annual Grammy Awards in 2017, the song won a total of three Grammy Awards in the following categories: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Pop Solo Performance.
- The music video of Hello, which was directed by Canadian director and actor Xavier Dolan starred African American actor and singer Tristan Wilds as Adele’s love interest. According to the music video’s director Dolan, Adele deliberately told him that she did not want to use a white male as her love interest in the music video because of serious racial tensions between African Americans and the police that was ongoing at that time. Apparently she was trying to calm down the tensions.
- Upon being released on October 22, 2015, the music video of Hello received 27.7 million views within a period of just 24 hours, thereby making history as the most viewed music vido on Vevo within a span of 24 hours. The record was however broken in 2017 by the music video of Taylor Swift’s Look What You Made Me Do.
- Having amassed a billion views on YouTube within a span of just 88 days, the music video of Hello went on to break another record by the music video with the shortest period of time to reach a billion views on YouTube.
- Hello is one of the most successful singles ever released in the entire history of music. In addition to topping the charts in dozens of countries all over the globe, including the United States and the United Kingdom, the song sold over 12 million units in 2015 alone.