Meaning of “Mariners Apartment Complex” by Lana Del Rey
“Mariners Apartment Complex” is a track recorded and performed by American singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey. Lyrically, this tune sees the narrator assuring a lover of constant support and guidance in their beautiful yet problematic relationship.
Speaking with Annie Mac on BBC Radio 1, Lana said the lyrics of the song are about a time when she took a late-night leisurely stroll with a guy she was dating. According to her, during the late night walk with her man, they stopped at an apartment complex where her guy’s friend lived. At that moment, her man lovingly placed his hand around her shoulder and said the below very deep and sad words to her.
“I think we are together because we’re both similar, like we’re both really messed up.”
Lana said she thought those were the saddest words she’d ever heard. Taking aback by his words, she told him that she never knew he was “relating to” her on that level because she didn’t live a sad life and was “doing pretty good”. According to Lana, her words (or rather revelation) upset the man. It was at that point that Lana said she was inspired to the write this track. To her, she felt she had to “sort of step on that role where I was showing the way and I was sort of being the brighter light.”
It is apparent that the song’s title “Mariners Apartment Complex” was inspired by the apartment complex from Lana’s story. Remember Lana and the man she was in a relationship with had been standing in front of an apartment complex when she got the inspiration to pen this song.
Facts about “Mariners Apartment Complex”
- Lana Del Rey co-wrote this song with Grammy Award winning American musician Jack Antonoff who is best known as a member of the bands Fun and Bleachers.
- Lana produced this track along with the song’s co-writer Antonoff.
- The song was officially premiered on September 12th, 2018 on Annie Mac’s show on BBC Radio 1. It is the first single from Lana’s sixth studio album titled Norman F***ing Rockwell.
- The official music video for “Mariners Apartment Complex” came out on the same day the single was also released. Lana’s younger sister Chuck Grant shot the clip. Chuck is a professional photographer.
- The phrase/title “mariners apartment complex” appears only once in the song’s lyrics.
- “Venice B**ch” is the second single from the album Norman F***ing Rockwell. The phrase “Venice b*tch” appears in the lyrics of this track.
Watch the official video for this track below. The video garnered more than 1 million views on YouTube in less than 24 hours of being published there.
Is this the first time Lana Del Rey and Jack Antonoff have worked together?
Yes. Over the course of his career, Antonoff has worked with a numerous artists ranging from Taylor Swift to Lorde to Pink. However, this is the first time he is collaborating with Lana. Antonoff went on to work with Lana on several other songs on Norman F**king Rockwell. These songs include “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – but I have it” and “Venice Bi*ch”.
Does Jack Antonoff contribute vocals to this track?
No. Besides co-writing and co-producing the song, Antonoff played piano on it.