Meaning of “Move to Miami” by Enrique Iglesias (featuring Pitbull)
“Move to Miami” is a song performed by Spanish singer/songwriter Enrique Iglesias and American hip hop recording artist Pitbull. The lyrics of “Move to Miami” see the narrators (Iglesias and Pitbull) talk about a lady who is so irresistible that one can’t help but relocate from wherever one is to the American city of Miami (where this lady apparently lives) to be with her.
Lyrics Pay Homage to Miami, Florida
Lyrically, the song also (to a significant degree) pays homage to the city of Miami (also known as the Magic City) in a way many would find amusing. So besides heaping loads of compliments on the woman whose irresistible body can force one to relocate to Miami, the pair also showers ‘interesting’ praises on their city – Miami. For example, in the third verse of the song, Pitbull refers to Miami as the “booty shakin’ capital” of the world. He also compliments the women of the Magic City by referring to them as being “off the chain”.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that Iglesias resides in Miami (at least at the time of the making of the song, he had been living in the city for a number of years). As for Pitbull, he was born and in Miami and has lived there all his life.
Facts about “Move to Miami”
- The song was penned by Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull and as many as 9 other songwriters, including Moroccan songwriter/producer Bilal Hajji (professionally known as The Chef), American singer-songwriter/producer Marty James, American musician/producer Kris Barman (best known as Wuki) and South African-born Canadian-American songwriter/producer J.R. Rotem. The other songwriters who received writing credit on this track are: J. Gomez, J. Thornfeldt, Richard C. Mears, S. Primera and J. Garcia.
- The production of “Move to Miami” was handled by Miami based music producer and DJ Nitti Gritti along with two of the song’s writers: Wuki and J.R. Rotem.
- Despite Nitti Gritti being given production credits on the track, he actually never personally met Iglesias or Pitbull during the making of the song. Speaking to the Miami New Times, he said despite not having the opportunity to meet these stars, the fact that he was credited as one of the producers of the track has opened up so many doors for him in the music industry.
- As a matter of fact, it was Gritti who began the song. In his interview with the same aforementioned news outlet, he said he made a demo, which contained “the hook and the beat” of “Move to Miami” on it. He then sent the partially finished work to an unnamed producer, who somehow got it to Pitbull. Pitbull was so impressed with what he heard that he instantly purchased it and sent it to Enrique Iglesias. The pair and their people then transformed the demo into the finished banger.
- Working on this track was the 12th time that Pitbull and Iglesias had collaborated together.
- “Move to Miami”, which is Iglesias’ first single in English since his 2014 song “I’m a Freak”, was officially released to the public on May 3, 2018.
- Marty James, who co-wrote the song, also provides background vocals for the track.
- The music video of “Move to Miami”, which was directed by music video director Fernando Lugo, came out on May 9th, 2018 (a day after Iglesias celebrated his 43rd birthday).