Meaning of “Momma I Hit a Lick” by 2 Chainz (featuring Kendrick Lamar)
When a person slangs that he or she “hit a lick”, they are referring to coming into quick money, usually in an illegal fashion. In this track, 2 Chainz and Kendrick Lamar also talk about rolling in the dough, though not necessarily unlawfully but more along the lines of reminding the public just how paid they are, while simultaneously in the chorus giving shoutouts to their mothers.
It is safe to assume that anyone who is familiar with these artists knows that if there is one thing they do not lack, it is money. But at the beginning of his verse, Chainz lets us know that he is pursuing even more, with “progress” likely being defined as such. He also gives us insight into his personal lifestyle, such as the expensive drinks he prefers and that fact that he prays before eating. Other topics that he delves into are his legal power and his assertion that other people want to be like him. But overall the sentiment Chainz is relaying is that his success overshadows that of his peers.
And content-wise, Kendrick’s verse is the same as 2 Chainz’s. In other words, the first half is primarily dedicated to his wealth and the latter his outstanding success in contrast to that of his peers, including stating how some want to bite his style. However, while the two artists’ verses share a similar meaning, and both are impressive, in terms of sophistication and versatility, it can be deemed that Lamar’s is more-notable than that of Chainz.
Facts about “Momma I Hit a Lick”
- The track’s primary artists (2 Chainz and Lamar) co-wrote it with Pharrell Williams. Williams produced the entire song solely.
- March 1, 2019 was the day “Momma I Hit a Lick” was released.
- The song appears as the 8th track on 2 Chainz’s album Rap or Go to the League. The aforementioned record is 2 Chainz’s fifth studio album.
- This isn’t the first collaboration between Kendrick and Chainz. Before “Momma I Hit a Lick” both men had worked together on a few songs. For example, the pair collaborated on Robin Thicke’s 2013 “Give It 2 U (Remix)”
- This track officially marked Kendrick Lamar’s first new material to come out in 2019.
Was “Momma I Hit a Lick” released as a single from Rap or Go to the League?
No. “Girl’s Best Friend” was the only single to have been released from the album in question.