“Mooo” by Doja Cat
“Mooo” is a viral hit performed by American singer/rapper Doja Cat. The song’s weird lyrics see Doja talking about being a cow. Hence the title “Mooo”.
Speaking to music website Genius.com, Doja Cat said the lyrics of the song were inspired by a particular ridiculous outfit she had been wearing at the time she wrote the track. According to her, the outfit was so annoying in that it kept distracting her from hitting the keys on her piano. In her frustration, she said to hell with it “I’m just gonna make a song about cows.” And that led to the birth of this viral hit.
Is the title of the song spelled “Moo” or “Mooo”?
The actual word used to describe the deep sounds cattle make is “moo”. However, in the song’s title, Doja Cat spells the word with an additional “o” at the end – “mooo”.
Facts about “Mooo”
- The song was written by Doja Cat whose real name is Amala Zandile Dlamini.
- In addition to writing the song, Doja Cat also produced it solely.
- According to Doja, she made this track as well as its video in just a day. She said the shooting of the video actually took only just about five hours.
- Despite its light heartedness, “Mooo” went on become one of the biggest viral hits of 2018. According to the singer, she never in her wildest dreams thought that the track would meet with such success.
- “Mooo” was released on August 10, 2018.
- Both the song and its music video have widely been tagged as “crappy”. As a matter of fact, many consider the song to be one of the silliest songs of 2018. Despite its “silliness”, it became a viral hit.
- Prior to the success of this tune, Doja Cat was a relatively unknown artist. However, “Mooo” catapulted her into the limelight and made her a household name in her home country and abroad.
Does “Mooo” contain samples?
This track samples the late American jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery’s 1960 song “Polka Dots and Moonbeams”. FYI: That song is in itself a cover. It was written by Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke and originally recorded by Frank Sinatra. It appeared on Sinatra’s Grammy Award winning 1965 album A Man and His Music.
That said, “Mooo” is also an interpolation of at least three songs. They are as follows:
- “Milkshake” by American singer Kelis
- “Slob on my Knob” by the American hip hop group Three 6 Mafia
- “Move B***h” by American rapper Ludacris