“Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” by Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus
“Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” is the title of a collaboration by English music producer/DJ Mark Ronson and American singer Miley Cyrus. The lyrics of “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” center mainly on the theme of heartbreak. In the song, Cyrus skillfully uses a bunch of metaphors to lament deeply about the demise of her relationship with a significant other.
Among the numerous metaphors she uses to describe her collapsed relationship, we particularly found the following very interesting:
“This burning house, there’s nothing left
It’s smoking, we both know it”
Why do we find the above lines very curios? Simply because a few weeks before the song came out, Miley’s mansion in Malibu, California actually burned down to the ground in the highly destructive Woolsey Fire.
So is Cyrus referencing that devastating Woolsey Fire in the lyrics? It is very likely she’s doing so. She’s apparently using the destruction of her home by fire as a metaphor to describe the death of her relationship. If this isn’t the trademark of a brilliant lyricist, we don’t know what is!
In summation, the whole song is about a lost relationship that has left both participants of the relationship very hurt.
Music video for “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart”
The music video of this tune features Cyrus being chased by a bunch of police officers in a really exciting car chase. As the police pursue her hotly, a number of her supporters line the streets to show her love and support. It isn’t made really clear the crime she committed and why she’s running. Mark Ronson also appears briefly in the video. Towards the end of the clip, Ronson can be seen jumping from his car into Cyrus’ speeding car.
He joins her to escape from the police. However, the car eventually somersaults. The pair is later seen to have made it out of the wreckage. But it’s not clear if what we see is really them or their ghosts.
Kneeling NFL Players in the video
There are a number of highlights of this video. One of them is its reference to the U.S. national anthem protests that began in 2016. From 2:53 to 2:57 of the clip, a bunch of NFL players in their jerseys can be seen kneeling. But does this mean the video is lending its support to American football quarterback, Colin Kaepernick (who began the protest) and other U.S. athletes involved in it? By all indications, that’s exactly what that part of the video is doing. It should be known that the NFL anthem protests seek to fight against inequality, injustice and racism in America.
In all, the video deals with a number of social and political issues in the United States, ranging from gun violence to injustice to racism.
Barely 5 hours after the music video for this song was premiered on Mark Ronson’s YouTube channel, it received over half a million views!
Facts about “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart”
- Mark Ronson and Cyrus wrote this track alongside 5 other songwriters. These writers are the Picard Brothers (Maxime and Clement Picard), Thomas Brenneck, Conor Szymanski and Ilsey Juber.
- Ronson teamed up with fellow English musician and DJ, Jamie xx to produce this track.
- “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” was released on November 29, 2018 for streaming and digital download.
- Just like on virtually all of his songs, Ronson once again doesn’t contribute vocals to this track.
- This is the second single Ronson released in the year 2018. His first for 2018 was “Diamonds Are Invincible”. As for Cyrus, this became her first single of 2018. Prior to this, the last time she released a song was in 2017.
- On his Instagram, Ronson referred to this song as one of his favorite songs.
- The song took four years to make – from the time it was written to its final production. We guess good things take a long time to come (:
- On December 15, 2018, Ronson and Cyrus performed this song live for the first time. The performance took place on the late night show Saturday Night Live.
Have Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson worked together in the past? Or is their first time of collaborating?
The song “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” marks the first time Cyrus is working with Ronson.
Which album can I find “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” on?
The song will appear on Ronson’s fifth solo album. The album, which currently has no title, is slated for release in 2019. Beyond that, not much is presently known about that album.