Meaning of “Boomerang” by Imagine Dragons
“Boomerang” by Imagine Dragons is a song about a romance the band’s lead singer, Dan Reynolds, is engaged in. The relationship (which is apparently between him and his wife Aja Volkman) is rife with trouble.
Indeed it is so tumultuous that it can seemingly expire at a moment’s notice. Yet despite the perpetual heartbreak, turmoil and confusion he experiences, he does not have the wherewithal to end the union. He concludes that the relationship is indeed faulty. However, these defects do not mean that he and his wife should stop loving each other. Instead he acknowledges the unbreakable power of attraction that his spouse has over him.
In all, he likens her to his boomerang. And as we all know, a boomerang will always find its way back to the thrower no matter how far it is thrown! Just like a boomerang and its thrower are never separated, so are Volkman and Reynolds.
Brief history of the relationship betweenDan Reynolds and Aja Volkman
Reynolds and Volkman (who is also a singer) got married on March 5, 2011. The couple welcomed their first child together in 2012. In 2017, they welcomed two more children. In April the following year, Reynolds revealed that their marriage had come to an end and that they would be divorcing. However, few months later, Reynolds revealed once again that he had gotten back together with Volkman. In a Zane Lowe interview, he revealed that he and Volkman couldn’t sign their divorce papers.
Facts about “Boomerang”
- Dan Reynolds and his bandmates penned this track with Jorgen Odegard.
- It is noteworthy that Odegard not only co-wrote the track with Imagine Dragons but he also produced it.
- The band recorded the song in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Ragged Insomnia Studio.
- “Boomerang” was released on November 9, 2018 through Interscope Records and KIDinaKORNER.
- “Boomerang” is the second song on the band’s 2018 album titled Origins. Origins is the band’s official fourth studio album.
- No official music video exists for this song because none was ever made.
Did Imagine Dragons release this song as a single from Origins?
No. The album, Origins, birthed four singles. “Boomerang” wasn’t one of them. The singles of Origins are as follows:
- “Natural” released in July 2018
- “Zero” released in September 2018
- “Machine” released in October 2018
- “Bad Liar” released in November 2018