Meaning of “Dumb Blonde” by Avril Lavigne (Ft. Nicki Minaj)
“Dumb Blonde” is a women’s empowerment song via singer Avril Lavigne and rapper Nicki Minaj. Lavigne approaches this track with two primary dispositions. First is her determination to use her gifts to their fullest potential, despite who may be intimidated by such. Second is not to let others stereotype her based on her looks.
Although the concept of a dumb blonde may seem humorous on the surface, it is taken very seriously by some people. According to this idea, women with blonde hair are more attractive and less intelligent than their darker-haired counterparts. And Avril, who is a natural blonde, obviously has had to deal with such asininity in her life.
The first verse recounts an incident in which Lavigne’s capabilities are being minimized by someone she is closely associated with. However, in the choruses, she asserts her ability to thrive and survive in the world. She also refuses to be treated like a stupid person based on her appearance or what people may preconceive about her. And she is strongly expressing this sentiment not only on behalf of herself but also for others who may be in a similar predicament.
In the second verse Avril takes things a step further, this time going beyond espousing her aptitude for survival to now presenting herself as superior to the person who is oppressing her.
Later, near the end of the track, Nicki Minaj intercedes with a verse. Nicki’s rap also fits into the theme of women empowerment, as she is basically bragging about her impressive bankroll.
What Avril Lavigne has said about this song
On December 12, 2018, through Twitter, a fan asked Lavigne to describe the meaning of “Dumb Blonde”. Lavigne responded by saying the song is about not letting yourself to be stereotyped just based on your appearance. Furthermore, she said the song’s lyrics also encourage people to prove their worth. She concluded by saying “it’s ok to be strong as a woman”.
Facts about “Dumb Blonde”
- Writer(s): “Dumb Blonde” was written by the song’s primary artists Avril Lavigne and Nicki Minaj. However, they didn’t do the writing alone. They co-wrote this empowering track with songwriters Mitch Allan and Bonnie McKee.
- Producer(s): The track was produced by its co-writers McKee and Allan. Producers Scott Robinson and Chris Baseford also contributed production to this self-love song.
- Album/EP: This is the fifth track off of the sixth studio album of Lavigne’s career, Head Above Water.
- Release Date: It was released on 12 February 2019.
- 1st Interesting Stuff: “Dumb Blonde” marked the first ever collaboration between Avril Lavigne and Nicki Minaj.
- 2nd Interesting Stuff: According to Minaj, she was a fan of Avril Lavigne since way back in her pre-fame days, when she worked as a waitress in the Bronx in 2001.
- 3rd Interesting Stuff: Nicki Minaj was initially not supposed to feature on the track since it was originally designed to be a solo song.
Did Lavigne release “Dumb Blonde” as a single?
Yes. Her 2019 album Head Above Water produced three singles, include this song. The following are the other two singles from that album:
Does “Dumb Blonde” contain any samples?
Yes. The track samples Gwen Stefani’s 2005 global hit single “Hollaback Girl“.