Meaning of “Head Above Water” by Avril Lavigne
“Head Above Water” is a very emotional single by the noted Canadian singer and songwriter Avril Lavigne. The lyrics of “Head Above Water” see the narrator (Lavigne) praying to God for help and asking Him not to let her drown. According to Lavigne, her real life struggles with Lyme disease are what inspired the song.
In a statement Lavigne released during the official release of the track, she shed more light on that painful period in her life that led to the birth of the lyrics of this emotional ballad. According to her, her Lyme disease got so severe to the point where one night she thought she was going to die and had actually “accepted” her impending death. She said at that moment she felt as though she was physically drowning. And it was at that very scary moment that she prayed to God to save her. Here are the exact words Lavigne said she used in her prayer: “God, please help me to keep my head above water.”
Facts about “Head Above Water”
- Avril Lavigne co-wrote “Head Above Water” with Canadian songwriter/composer Stephan Moccio and American singer Travis Clark (lead vocalist of the rock band We the Kings).
- Aside co-writing the track, Stephan Moccio also produced it. He handled the production all by himself.
- The song saw its official release on September 19, 2018. About a month before the track’s September release, Lavigne began whetting her fans’ appetite for the single by uploading onto social media a number of images from the song’s official music clip.
- Prior to “Head Above Water”, the last new music Lavigne released was the song “Fly”, which came out in 2015. According to the singer, her struggle with Lyme disease was mainly what prevented her from releasing new music all that long.
- British film director Elliott Lester directed the official music video of “Head Above Water”. Lester is best known across the globe for directing the 2011 film Blitz.
Watch the official music video for Avril Lavigne’s “Head Above Water” below:
Which album is “Head Above Water” on?
This track appears on Avril Lavigne’s sixth studio album of the same name. As a matter of fact, it is the first of the album’s three singles. The other two singles from that album are: “Dumb Blonde” and “Tell Me It’s Over“.
In which musical genre does “Head Above Water” belong?
This is a pop rock song.
What is Lyme disease?
Lyme disease is an infectious disease that is caused by a type of bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi. A human being can get this disease when a tick carrying this bacterium bites him or her. Headaches, fatigue and fever are some of the most common symptoms of the disease.