Meaning of “Lovely” by Billie Eilish & Khalid
“Lovely” (formally written as “lovely”, is a song by American singers/songwriters Billie Eilish and Khalid. The lyrics of “Lovely” find both singers attempting to surmount the sadness and depression drowning them.
How the song’s title was birthed
During an April 2018 interview with Zane Lowe on Apple’s Beats 1, Eilish explained how they came up with adjective “lovely” as the title of the track. According to the singer, she and her team found the song so depressing they began to think to themselves “oh how lovely”.
Here are the exact words Eilish said to Lowe regarding the song’s title:
Facts about “Lovely”
- Three songwriters/artists wrote “Lovely”. They are Billie Eilish, Khalid and Finneas O’Connell. The latter is also an actor and music producer. He is the older brother of Eilish. He is known for writing and producing Eilish’s songs, including hits such as “Hostage” and “When the Party’s Over”.
- Finneas handled the song’s entire production all by himself.
- On April 19, 2018, “Lovely” was premiered on Beats 1. It was released as the first single from the debut album of Eilish. The track can also be found on the soundtrack of the teen drama web TV series 13 Reasons Why.
- “Lovely” consists of two verses, two pre-choruses, two choruses and an outro. All of these sections are sung simultaneously by both singers.
- It is noteworthy that the title of this track is stylized/written in lowercase letters. Thus the song’s title is officially “lovely”.
- This tune was officially Eilish’s second single of 2018. As for Khalid, it marked his second single for the year in question.
- This song has been sampled multiple times by American rapper Juice WRLD. For example, he sampled it in the 2018 track “Karma”. “Karma” is actually a skit from his 2018 album Goodbye & Good Riddance.
Who played the violin on “Lovely”?
The beautiful violin you hear on the track was played by American musician and YouTube star Madison Leinster.
Was an official music video made for “Lovely”?
Yes. The clip, which stars both Eilish and Khalid, was released on April 26, 2018. We have put the clip below for your viewing pleasure:
Is this the first time Billie Eilish and Khalid are working together?
Yes. Working on the track was the first time that both Khalid and Eilish got the opportunity to collaborate. According to Eilish, the moment she heard Khalid’s work for the first time, she was instantly drawn to him. Her brother, Finneas, who produced the track, also had something good to say about Khalid. In an Instagram post, Finneas said Khalid was one of his favorite artists. He added that he felt lucky to call Khalid a friend.
On which episode of 13 Reasons Why, can the song “Lovely” be heard?
It appears on the episode titled “Bye”. “Bye” is the final episode of the season two of the show.