Meaning of “When the Party’s Over” by Billie Eilish
“When the Party’s Over” is a song recorded and performed by American singer Billie Eilish. In this song, Billie, who is apparently fed up with the behavior of her lover, uses the phrase “I’ll call you when the party’s over” as a metaphor to let him know she’s got better things to focus on than him and the drama accompanying him.
In the following lines from the song’s bridge, Billie reveals that the relationship is over. However, it appears her boyfriend still isn’t sure he wants to end it.
“Once we both said our goodbyes
Let’s just let it go
Let me let you go”
In an interview she had with coup de main magazine in 2018, she shed more light on the song’s meaning. According to her, the lyrics aren’t really about her being sad that the relationship has collapsed.
She likened the lyrics to being in a loud environment and being on the phone with someone. You both can’t hear each other due to the loud noise in the background and on top of that, the person is “mad at you for some reason” and is yelling. So you get fed up with the whole situation and tell them this: “F**king leave me alone”.
She later told coupe de main that the track is more like a sequel to her 2017 song titled “Party Favor”. In “Party Favor”, Billie is getting out of a toxic relationship with her possessive boyfriend. Her goal is to get him out of her life.
Facts about “When the Party’s Over”
- Actor/songwriter/music producer Finneas O’Connell solely wrote and produced this track. O’Connell is the senior brother of Billie Eilish.
- O’Connell gained fame in the music industry co-writing and producing Billie’s songs.
- Billie receives no songwriting credit on “When the Party’s Over”. This is because she didn’t co-write the song.
- In addition to solely writing and producing this tune, O’Connell also played a number of instruments on the track.
- The tune was formally released on October 17, 2018.
- O’Connell revealed on Twitter that during the recording of the song, he and Billie did “hundreds and hundreds of vocal layers” on it. He said they hoped to create something unforgettable with the song because it is very important to them.
Below is the official music video for “When the Party’s Over”. The video received millions of views within 24 hours of being uploaded on YouTube.
Who sings the background vocals on “When the Party’s Over”?
The song’s backing vocals are sung by Finneas O’Connell.