Meaning of “Mantra” by Bring Me the Horizon
“Mantra” is a song by the English rock band Bring Me the Horizon (BMTH). The lyrics of “Mantra” focus on a number of subject matters, mostly on how human beings unfortunately devote their lives to following others blindly. This of course often leads them to very unpalatable situations. Aside the subject of religious indoctrination, the lyrics also touch on issues ranging from betrayal to deceit to misery.
What’s the meaning of the word “mantra”?
It is an English word. In the dictionary, it can mean any of the following things:
- A piece of writing considered very holy in Hinduism.
- In Buddhism or Hinduism, a mantra is any word or sound repeated over and over again to help followers meditate or pray.
Facts about “Mantra”
- The song was penned by Bring Me the Horizon (Oliver Sykes, Matt Kean, Jordan Fish, Matt Nicholls and Lee Malia).
- The band wrote the song in Los Angeles, California, United States.
- The band’s lead singer, Oliver Sykes, alongside keyboard player Jordan Fish handled the production of the track.
- On August 21st, 2018, “Mantra” was officially released as a single from the band’s sixth studio album Amo (which is stylized in lowercase, amo). “Amo” means “love” in Portuguese.
- “Mantra” received its worldwide premiere on Irish DJ Annie Mac’s popular electronic dance music show on BBC Radio 1. Speaking with Mac, Sykes said the track was by far the hardest song he and his band members ever wrote. According to him, it was difficult because the record was totally different from anything they had ever worked on in the past.
- The word “mantra” appears only three times in the entire song.
- In August, prior to the release of this track, the band began releasing cryptic banners across the world, asking the question: “do you wanna start a cult with me?”. It is noteworthy that this question is the first line from the first verse of “Mantra”. In each of the posters, a special phone number was placed next to the question. And when fans called the number, they were furnished with bits of information about the then yet-to-be-released single.
Below is the official audio of the song published on August 21, 2018. It went on to amass over a million views within just 24 hours of being uploaded on YouTube.
What genre of music is “Mantra”?
The song can be categorized into a number of genres, including pop, pop rock and alternative rock.
Does this track have a music video?
Yes, it does. The song’s music video was released on August 24th, 2018. Below is the official music video of this song: