Meaning of “Megatron” by Nicki Minaj
Nicki Minaj has named this song after “Megatron”, a villain from a popular science-fiction franchise. It is apparent Minaj has an affinity for this villain as she also takes on his name in this track and has done so before. In fact “Megatron” is actually one of her many monikers.
However, instead of portraying herself as a hardcore, violent baddie like the titular character, this track is primarily dedicated to Nicki’s bedroom adventures. And the secondary theme would be her wealth. For instance, she gives a shoutout to renowned Italian fashion designer Donatella Versace, whom she’s homegirls with. Nicki also brings up the fact that she owns her own liquor brand, all the while throwing shade at “bit*hes” (i.e. her female rivals) who can’t keep up with her cashflow. In fact Minaj enjoying some “shots” (as in liquor) is what the chorus of this song is based on.
So in summation, this is standard Nicki Minaj fare in terms of lyrical content, with the exception perhaps being the song’s dancehall vibe. And the main topics discussed are Nicki’s bedroom exploits and extravagant wealth.
Facts about “Megatron”
- This marked the first single Nicki Minaj dropped (as the main artist) since dropping “Good Form” in November of 2018.
- Nicki officially dropped “Megatron” via Cash Money Records on 21 June 2019.
- Minaj, Andrew Wansel and Nova Wav (Blu Jane and Brittany Coney) produced “Megatron”. They also co-wrote it with additional help from Haldane Brown.
- The fictional character “Megatron” first made his appearance in 1984 as the main antagonist in the long-standing toy/cartoon/movie series Transformers.
- Nicki Minaj began teasing the release of this track via Instagram on 13 June 2019.