Meaning of “SOS” by Avicii (Ft. Aloe Blacc)
The singular verse of Avicii’s “SOS” appears to be quite brief. This may be due to the fact that, as with the album entitled TIM that it is featured on, this work was left uncompleted at the time Avicii unexpectedly committed suicide in April of 2018. As such, fans are hoping that the posthumous release of songs like “SOS” will shed light on the mystery surrounding him making such a tragic decision.
Indeed the song starts out with the singer, Aloe Blacc, crying out for help. His problem seems to be some type of mental anguish. And apparently he has either tried to remedy this situation through marijuana and cocaine consumption (which is a very dangerous thing to do). Obviously these substances have contributed to him falling into this negative state.
Yet at the same time the love of someone is “pulling (him) up from the underground”. Here, he is insinuating that this person is helping him to overcome this condition in a way that does not compel him to instead use drugs. This individual is a romantic interest, apparently a “part-time lover”. But the singer is interested in taking their relationship a higher level of commitment.
As for the aforementioned verse, it insinuates that the singer is suffering from serious sleep deprivation due to disturbing thought processes. However, he does not perceive a solution to immediately overcoming this malady.
Ultimately as the title implies, “SOS” is a call for help, specifically to get over some type of mental issue tantamount to depression. And the person who seems to be assisting the singer in overcoming this problem is a partner from a casual romance. As such, he is hoping to move their love affair to a more-serious level.
What do we think about “SOS”?
The lyrics are sad and touching and appear to come from someone screaming for help. We think these lyrics do nothing but show just how Avicii truly felt deep inside prior to committing suicide. He lived a very tortured life – especially towards his last few years on earth.
In all, “SOS” addresses two major issues that Avicii was dealing with in real life. They are: mental health issues and his struggles with addiction.
Avicii may no longer be among the living, however, his music and legacy will remain in the hearts and minds of the living fir eternity. RIP, Avicii. We hope you found your happiness and peace at last.
What Aloe Blacc has said about “SOS”
The song’s primary vocalist (Aloe Blacc) revealed in an interview that Avicii apparently wrote the lyrics of “SOS” about some of the challenges he was going through in life.
Facts about “SOS”
- “SOS” was written by Avicii alongside six other songwriters: Kandi Burruss, Albin Nedler, Kevin Briggs, Kristoffer Fogelmark (BONN) and Tameka Cottle.
- Avicii produced this song. However, he died before it was technically completely produced. Music producers BONN and Albin Nedler are also credited as producers on this track. FYI, BONN and Nedler also co-wrote this song.
- “SOS” was officially released on April 10, 2019 (almost a year after Avicii’s shocking death). It is Avicii’s first posthumous song.
- This track is the first and lead single from Avicii’s 2019 posthumous album titled Tim (TIM). FYI, Avicii’s family was the one who decided to name the album Tim. Avicii’s real name was Tim Bergling.
- “SOS” is officially the third collaboration between Avicii and American singer Aloe Blacc. The pair first worked together on Avicii’s hit single “Wake Me Up“. Blacc also worked with Avicii on the 2013 song “Liar Liar”.
Is it me or do some parts of “SOS” sound like TLC’s “No Scrubs”?
You are not the only who has noticed that. Certain parts of the song (especially its bridge) sound pretty similar to the 1999 hit song “No Scrubs” by TLC. This is because “SOS” uses an interpolation of the aforementioned classic. Owing to this, the writers (Tameka, Briggs and Kandi) of “No Scrubs” are also given songwriting credits on “SOS”.