Meaning of “Hey Brother” by Avicii
“Hey Brother” is a song by Swedish superstar DJ and music producer Avicii. The lyrics of the song basically see the narrator/singer assuring his brother/sister that regardless of what happens in life, he’d always be there for him/her because blood is always thicker than water.
Simply put, lyrically, the song is about sisterhood/brotherhood and how special and strong the bond between you and your family members is.
Facts about “Hey Brother”
- “Hey Brother” was written by Avicii and his songwriting partners: Arash Pournouri (Avicii’s longtime manager), Grammy Award winning Swedish songwriter Salem Al Fakir, Vincent Pontare (also a Grammy Award winning songwriter from Sweden), and Swedish songwriter Veronica Maggio.
- The track was produced solely by Avicii.
- The song was released on October 9th, 2013 as the third single from Avicii’s debut studio album True.
- The song’s famous bluegrass sound was inspired by the 2000 crime comedy film O Brother, Where Art Thou?. It is also highly likely the song’s title was inspired by the film’s title.
- The vocals on “Hey Brother” were sung by Grammy Award winning American bluegrass singer Dan Tyminski. It is noteworthy that that the rendition of the song “Man Of Constant Sorrow” which appeared on the film O Brother, Where Art Thou? was sung by Tyminski.
- Before settling on Tyminski to sing the vocals on the track, Avicii reportedly tried as many as six different singers.
- The official music video of “Hey Brother”, which was shot in Bakersfield, California, was nominated for an MTV Video Music Award in 2014 in the category of Best Video with a Social Message. .
- The song topped the charts in several countries, including Hungary, Germany, Brazil, Finland, France and Scotland. On the UK Singles Chart and the US Billboard Hot 100, the song peaked at number 2 and number 16 respectively, making it one of the most successful singles of Avicii’s short career.
Did “Hey Brother” win a Grammy Award?
No. Despite the song’s massive success across the globe, it failed to be nominated for a Grammy.
Who are the boys on the music video of “Hey Brother”?
The younger boy in the video is actor Jack Estes whereas the older boy is actor Zachary Voss.
What genre of music is “Hey Brother”?
The song falls under a number of genres, including folktronica, bluegrass, house and pop.