Meaning of “Stargazing” by Travis Scott
“Stargazing” is a hip hop song by American rapper Travis Scott. The lyrics of this track see the narrator (Scott) mainly recounting his experience of a psychedelic journey he undertakes.
What really is the meaning of the word “stargazing”?
In the English dictionary, to stargaze can mean a number of things. It can mean the process of observing the stars. It can also mean to daydream or to be absentminded.
Are the lyrics of this song about drugs?
Indeed many believe they center on that theme. However, there isn’t any concrete evidence that the narrator (Scott) is stargazing because he is intoxicated.
Tributes in “Stargazing”
Throughout the song, Scott pays tribute to a number of famous personalities. They include the following:
- Big Mo: The phrase “Barre Baby” in the line “Sippin’ on purp, feelin’ like the Barre Baby” refers to the 2002 song “Barre Baby” by the late American rapper Big Moe. Moe died at the age of 33 in 2007 from a heart attack. Moe was born in Houston, Texas. That city also happens to be Scott’s birthplace.
- Moby: In the line, “She keep my d*** jumpin up, feel like I’m Moby”, Scott talks about his girl making him feel like the noted American DJ, music producer and musician Moby.
- Kobe Bryant: The line “I’m way too gold for this beef, feel like I’m Kobe” sees Scott paying tribute to the American basketball legend Kobe Bryant.
In addition to the above, Scott also mentions an “Ellen” in the song’s first verse. It is apparent the Ellen is referring to the renowned American comedian and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.
Facts about “Stargazing”
- “Stargazing” was written by Travis Scott along with 7 other songwriters. These writers are as follows: M. Dean, C. Young, S. Gloade, J. Lepe, B Whitfield, S. Uwaezuoke and B Korn.
- The track was produced by B Wheezy and three of the song’s writers (Uwaezuoke, Korn, and Gload).
- “Stargazing” was released on August 3rd, 2018. It is the first track from Scott’s third studio album titled Astroworld.
- Just like many of Soctt’s songs, this one also heavily uses autotune.
- The official music video of “Stargazing” was released on July 30th, 2018. It was directed by American music video/film director Nabil Elderkin.
Does “Stargazing” contain samples?
No. This piece doesn’t make use of any sample in it.