Meaning of “Toy Soldiers” by Martika
“Toy Soldiers” is the title of a song performed by American singer and songwriter Martika. The lyrics of this song were written about a friend of Martika’s who was struggling intensely with drug addiction. Below are Martika’s exact words about the meaning of the track:
In the song, Martika tries to warn her listeners of how dangerous drugs can be. In doing so, she lets us know that drugs can control a user in a similar fashion that kids control the toys that they play with.
But what addiction was Martika’s friend suffering from? And did he/she ever get clean?
Martika’s friend was suffering from a serious addiction to cocaine. Fortunately for her friend, they ended up getting clean.
That being said, it’s noteworthy to mention that Martika has never revealed the identity of the person behind the song’s lyrics. While some claim it was one of her producers, others believe that the person might have been indeed none but Martika herself.
Facts about “Toy Soldiers”
- “Toy Soldiers” was written by Martika alongside songwriter and producer Michael Jay (who also produced it).
- In the United Kingdom, this track was released on 21 January, 1989. It was later released in May of that same year in the United States.
- “Toy Soldiers” was released as a single from Martika’s self-titled debut album (Martika).
- When “Toy Soldiers” came out, many initially thought it was a break-up ballad. But like we all know today, the song is about the dangers of drug addiction.
- “Toy Soldiers” reached number 1 in US Billboard Hot 100 (making it Martika’s first song to reach number 1 in the United States). In the UK, it reached number 5. To date, this is Martika’s biggest hit in the United States.
- In 2004, American rapper made this song even more famous when he sampled it in his hit single also titled “Toy Soldiers”.
Was “Toy Soldiers” released as a single?
Yes. It was one of the four singles from Martika’s debut studio album.
Who sings the background vocals on “Toy Soldiers”?
At least 9 famous people sing the backing vocals on this track, including actress Jennifer Love Hewitt and singer/actress Fergie. The others are: Renee Sands, Kimberly McCullough, Devyn Puett, Marlen Landin, Alitzah Wiener and Rasha Patterson.
Did “Toy Soldiers” win a Grammy?
No. As a matter of fact, Martika is yet to win a Grammy.