“Remember Me” from the film Coco
Though the critically-acclaimed tune “Remember Me” from the Pixar animated feature Coco is performed in various styles and circumstances throughout the film, the ultimate meaning of the song is just as the name suggests. In other words, the singer is imploring the listener to remember him or her, specifically through a special appreciation of music both of them share, even though he or she (the singer) is compelled to go away.
The song is also meant to be a lullaby moreso than any of the vast array of styles it has been performed in. Outside of the film, this popular song has been used for such practical purposes as comforting children who are dealing with the loss of a loved one.
“Remember Me” has also been associated with such universal principles as family, reuniting with close associations after an extended absence and maintaining a positive outlook when dealing with the inevitable yet unwanted changes that may come with time.
Viral performance of “Remember Me”
Below is one of the most touching and beautiful performances of this song. The performer in the clip is a four year old boy named Alex. Alex sings this song to his deceased baby sister. The performance was so touching that it took no time going viral.
Facts about “Remember Me”
- “Remember Me” was penned by two American songwriters Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez.
- The song won an Academy Award the category of the Best Original Song. This win gave the song’s writers (Kristen and Robert) the second Academy Award of their career. Their first was for the song “Let It Go” from the animated film Frozen.
- “Remember Me” can be found on the Coco (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) album. It is the first song on that album.
- In addition to winning an Academy Award, this track has won other prestigious awards. Some of these awards include: Critics’ Choice Award and the Houston Film Critics Society Award. It was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award.
- There is a cover version of this song entirely sung in Spanish. That version was recorded by Mexican singer Carlos Rivera.
Who are the performers of this song on Coco?
Throughout the film “Coco”, this song is performed approximately four times.
- First performance by Ernesto de la Cruz’s (played by Benjamin Bratt)
- Second performance by Héctor (played by Gael García Bernal)
- Third performance by Anthony Gonzalez (played by singer Miguel)
- Fourth performance (at the end credits) by singers Miguel and Natalia Lafourcade