Ariana Grande’s “Break up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” Lyrics Meaning
The content of “Break up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” is basically as the title implies. Ariana is at some type of social gathering. While there, she sees a man that she is instantly and intimately attracted to. Unfortunately for her, not only does he already have a girlfriend, but she (the girlfriend) is also present at the party. So Ariana basically advertises to the dude that if only he would dump his girlfriend, he could easily get her in the sack. This is not only due to her strong attraction to him but also the fact that she’s “bored”.
A good portion of the album this song is featured on, “Thank U, Next”, is about Ariana’s ex-boyfriends, specifically Pete Davidson and the late Mac Miller. Fans have concluded that this track may also be about one of Grande’s lost loves, though in this case, it would be rapper Big Sean. And they have evidence to prove it, including her recently being openly flirtatious towards him. And since Big Sean’s current shorty is pop singer Jhene Aiko, the “girlfriend” Ariana is referring to is supposedly her. Indeed even in the second verse you can see that the person she is singing to is a musician. Moreover, during this part of the song, Ariana explains that she desires a longer relationship than a one-night stand.
Does this song have a deeper Meaning?
Having said all the above, an interesting thing happens in the song’s video. In the clip, we see that the “girlfriend” Ariana is talking about is actually her. Ariana is really this girlfriend! Based on this, some say that Ariana is trying to tell the world that she’s leaving her boyfriend so she can begin loving herself. Could this really be what Ariana is saying in “Break up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored”?
Facts about “Break up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored”
- Writer(s): This track was written by a number of famed songwriters, including Ilya Salmanzadeh, Max Martin and Savan Kotecha. Ariana Grande also co-wrote this track. It’s noteworthy to point out that these songwriters also co-wrote Grande’s “God Is A Woman” and “No Tears Left to Cry“.
- Producer(s): Max Martin and ILYA worked with Ariana to produce this song.
- Album/EP: “Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” is the 12th and final track on Ariana Grande’s 2018 album, “Thank U, Next”.
- Release Date: This song was released on 8 February 2019.
- Record Label: The recording label it was released under is Republic Records.
- 1st Interesting Stuff: In addition to being the final song on Grande’s Thank U, Next album, this was also the last song recorded for the album.
- 2nd Interesting Stuff: The big twist at the end of the music video for “Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” is that Ariana was imploring her own self to break up with her boyfriend in order to practice self-love.
- 3rd Interesting Stuff: The song’s official video stars South Korean-American model and actor Charles Melton. Melton, who gained international stardom for playing Reggie Mantle on the TV series Riverdale, played the role of Ariana’s love interest in the video. American model and actress Ariel Yasmine also starred in the video as Ariana’s rival.
Was “Break up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” released as a single from Thank U, Next?
Yes. The aforementioned album produced three singles, including this track. The other two singles from that album are as follows:
Who directed the music video for this single?
The track’s official music video was directed by the noted American music video director Hannah Lux Davis. It’s important that we mention that prior to this song, Hannah had directed multiple Ariana Grande music videos.
Does “Break up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored” contain any sample?
Yes. This track samples the 2000 song “It Makes Me Ill” by Justin Timberlake’s band NSYNC.