Meaning of “Pete Davidson” by Ariana Grande
“Pete Davidson” is a love song recorded and performed by American singer/songwriter Ariana Grande. The lyrics of this song pay tribute to Grande’s fiancé named Pete Davidson. Davidson is an American actor and comedian who gained stardom appearing on the popular late-night live TV variety show Saturday Night Live.
Grande and Davidson began dating in May 2018 shortly after her relationship with American rapper Mac Miller came to an end. The following month after the pair began seeing each other, Davidson confirmed that they were engaged to be married.
In the lyrics, among other things, Grande talks about Davidson being her soulmate and how happy she feels being with him.
The original title of the song was “Pete”. However, on July 28th, 2018, Grande changed it to “Pete Davidson”. Speaking on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, Grande explained the reason she changed the song’s title. According to her, she loves her fiancé’s name and likes “the way it looks”.
The singer also added that she chose to use Davidson’s name in a song because unlike other things such as memories and tattoos, “music lasts forever”. She therefore wants the way she feels about Davidson to last for eternity.
Note: Grande and Mac Miller had been dating each other for about two years before splitting. Shortly after their split, Grande revealed that her relationship with Miller had toxic aspects which were both “hard” and “scary”.
Facts about “Pete Davidson”
- Ariana Grande wrote this song along with songwriters Victoria McCants, Charles “Scootie” Anderson and Tommy “TBHits” Brown.
- The track was produced by two of its co-writers: TBHits and Scootie.
- “Pete Davidson” was released on August 17, 2018. It is the 14th track on Grande’s fourth studio album titled Sweetener. The album features such hit singles as “No Tears Left to Cry” and “God Is a Woman“.
- According to Grande, she penned this tune about a week after her relationship with Davidson began.
- This tune has a total length of just 1 minute and 13 seconds.
- The title of this song, just like the majority of the songs on Sweetener is written in all lowercase. Owing to this, the actual way to write the title is like this: “pete davidson”.
- Currently, this track has no music video.
Does “Pete Davidson” make use of samples?
No, it doesn’t. As a matter of fact, out of the 15 songs on Grande’s Sweetener album, only “Goodnight n Go” makes use of a sample.
Did Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson eventually get married?
No. In October 2018, it was announced that Grande and Davidson had ended their engagement.