“Needy” by Ariana Grande
For instance, Grande begins the song by detailing how dependent she is on what appears to be a delayed return phone call from a loved one, the person she is addressing in this track. She admits that her emotional disposition tends to fluctuate. Yet she is not afraid to publicly express a dependency on what she strongly desires, such as this person’s care. This may indeed be an unappealing part of her personality, and she is focusing an exceptional amount of love on the person she is singing to. Ariana understands that needing this person so much is not constructive. However, she imagines that he or she must also feel good with the sensation of being needed.
Later she once again points out the emotional “damage” she has been through which has made her so emotionally deprived. Of course she could be referring to the fact that she experienced two high-profile breakups just last year. However, also taken into consideration is how she must have felt after her 22 May 2017 show in the United Kingdom was bombed, which resulted in the death of 22 people.
Whatever it is that may be bothering her, there are two things Ariana knows. First is that she needs this person’s shoulder to lean on. And secondly is that this person must at least enjoy being needed by someone else.
Facts about “Needy”
- Writer(s): “Needy” was written by at least four famed songwriters, including Ariana Grande. The others are frequent collaborators Tayla Parx, TBHits and Victoria Monét.
- Producer(s): TBHits, the multiplatinum producer and songwriter, also produced this track.
- Album/EP: This is the second track on Grande’s album titled Thank U, Next.
- Release Date: This track was released on 8 February, 2019.
- Record Label: The label it was released on is Republic Records.
- 1st Interesting Stuff: “Needy” was first teased on 4 October 2018, during which time Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson were apparently still an item.
- 2nd Interesting Stuff: Prior to this song’s release, it was teased in the music video of the single “thank u, next”. In one of the numerous scenes from that video, the song’s title was inscribed on a shirt Ariana wore.