Donald Glover (Childish Gambino)
Donald Glover, also known by the name Childish Gambino, is a multiple award winning American actor, writer singer, songwriter and rapper. He is famed for starring in such films as 2015’s The Martian, 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and 2018’s Solo: A Star Wars Story. On television, he has starred in a number of TV series, including the American TV sitcom Community and the comedy-drama TV series Atlanta, in which he played the roles of Troy Barnes and Earnest Marks respectively. As a singer, some of his notable songs include Heartbeat, Redbone, and Me and Your Mama.
Glover was born to Beverly and Donald Sr. Glover in California. He grew up with a brother named Stephen, who is a writer and rapper. In 2016, Glover became a father for the first time when his son Legend was born.
Facts about Donald Glover (Childish Gambino)
- He grew up as a Jehovah’s Witness.
- Glover has a degree in writing.
- He is a multi instrumentalist.
- Glover got his famous stage name “Childish Gambino” from the Wu-Tang name generator while he was in college.
- From time to time, he performs as a disc jockey with the moniker mcDJ.
- He was bullied severely as a child.
- Growing up, Glover was often plagued with suicidal thoughts.
- He also battled alcohol abuse.
- He is the creator of the critically acclaimed comedy-drama TV series Atlanta, in which he also stars in.
- In 2017, he won two Primetime Emmy Awards for his hit television series Atlanta in the categories Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series and Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.
- Upon winning the Emmy Award in 2017 for the Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series, Glover became the first African-American to be honored with that award.
- His influences include the American rock band LCD Soundsystem, the legendary Spanish surrealist Salvador Dalí and American rapper Ghostface Killah.
Notable songs by Childish Gambino
Here are some of Gambino’s most popular songs: