Meaning of ”In My Blood” by Shawn Mendes
”In My Blood” is a song performed by Canadian singer Shawn Mendes. The lyrics of the song are about Mendes’ real life struggles with anxiety disorder (a kind of mental disorder that often sees the sufferer suffering from fear and anxiety).
Prior to the release of the song, the public wasn’t aware of Mendes’ battles with mental disorder. According to Mendes, he wrote the song about his problem in the hopes that listeners would not only ”relate with it” but also ”understand it”.
Mendes later revealed that his anxiety disorder can sometimes last for a few minutes, ”two hours” or even an entire day.
Speaking with Billboard, Mendes said the concept of “In My Blood” is about the feeling that overcomes him when he is about giving up and finally not giving up because doing so isn’t in his blood. According to Mendes, of all the songs he has written, this is the closest one to his heart.
So what do we really think about this song? It is a truly inspirational song that can inspire any listener to not give up despite the obstacles that stand in their way. Definitely one of Mendes’ most inspirational songs of his career!
Facts about ”In My Blood”
- ”In My Blood” was written by Shawn Mendes and three other songwriters, namely Canadian songwriter Geoff Warburton, American songwriter Teddy Geiger and American songwriter Scott Harris.
- Mendes and Geiger (one of the writers of the song) produced the song.
- The song was released on 22nd March, 2018 as the lead single from Mendes’ self-titled studio album (Shawn Mendes).
- Having made its debut on the US Billboard Hot 100 at the 72nd position, the song went on to hit number 22 after just four days. It eventually went on to peak at number 11 on that chart. On the UK Singles Chart, the song peaked at number 10.
- In Mendes’ home country of Canada, the song peaked at number 9 on the Canadian Hot 100, thereby making it Mendes’ fifth song to enter the top 10 in Canada.
- Mendes performed this song live for the first time on the American late-night talk show The Late Show with James Corden (Late Late).
What musical genre is ”In My Blood”?
The nature of the song puts it perfectly in the category of rock ballad. Speaking with renowned DJ and record producer Zane Lowe, Shawn Mendes revealed that during the writing process of this song, his main aim was to make it sound more ‘rock oriented’. According to him, he wanted the song to sound like the works of the American rock band Kings of Leon.
Has “In My Blood” won any prestigious award(s)?
Here are more Songs that won Teen Choice Awards.