Meaning of “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato
“Sorry Not Sorry” is a song by American singer and songwriter Demi Lovato. The song’s lyrics are directed at Lovato’s enemies. It is a song about not being apologetic to “the haters”. In an interview Lovato had with Amazon Music, she confirmed this saying the song was directed “to the haters”. According to her, she had reached a point in her life where she felt good about herself and was sorry that she wasn’t sorry that her haters might not be loving their current lives.
So whenever you hear this song playing, take note of the fact that its lyrics are directed at none other than the haters in Lovato’s life. She’s basically telling these people that she isn’t apologetic for making her life better.
Facts about “Sorry Not Sorry”
- “Sorry Not Sorry” was written by Lovato and four other songwriters, namely Oak Felder, Sean Douglas, William Zaire Simmons and Trevor Brown.
- The production of the song was handled by Zaire Koalo and three of the song’s writers, Felder and Simmons.
- All four songwriters (Felder, Douglas, Brown and Simmons) who contributed to the writing of the song, sang the song’s backing vocals.
- One of the song’s co-writers, Turkish-American songwriter and music producer Oak Fedler was the one who suggested to Lovato that they write a song titled “Sorry Not Sorry”. Speaking to Songwriter Universe, Fedler said the phrase came from a heated phone conversation he had had with his wife. During the conversation, she said something that offended him. He asked her to apologize and she said the profound phrase.
- “Sorry Not Sorry” was officially released on 11th July, 2017 as the first of the two singles from Lovato’s sixth studio album titled Tell Me You Love Me.
- The song peaked at numbers 6 and 9 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and UK Singles Chart respectively, making it one of the most successful singles of Lovato’s career.
- Lovato performed this song live at several house parties before it was officially released to the generally public in July 2017.
- The music video for “Sorry Not Sorry” was inspired by a real party that Lovato hosted in her house, in which several celebrities, including Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa and French Montana attended.