Meaning of “Told You So” by Little Mix
“Told You So” is a single released by the British girl musical group Little Mix in November 2018. “Told You So” is about being there for a friend and trying to help them heal and recover from a breakup. In the song, while comforting their heartbroken friend, the girls tell her that no boy can ever love her like they (her best friends) can.
“He’s never gonna love you like we do”
A writer from MTV summed the song up as simply a beautiful “ode to friendship”. Indeed the song is all about friendship and being there to support a friend going through a difficult time.
Little Mix on “Told You So”
Shortly before releasing this friendship inspired tune, the group briefly explained what the song meant to them. Via Instagram, the group said the song defines them… “true friendship”. According to them, come what may, they would always be there to support each other. And that’s basically what the song is all about.
Here are the exact words Little Mix posted on Instagram regarding the meaning of this song:
It is noteworthy to mention that one of the reasons Little Mix is still together as a group (as of 2018) is due to their strong friendship with one another. Their friendship began as far back as in 2011 when they participated in the eighth series of The X Factor competition. The group eventually won the competition. Why is their bond impressive? Simply because many girl groups tend to have very short lifespans. Most of these groups disband shortly after their formation due to disputes among themselves.
Quick Facts about “Told You So”
- Three songwriters were responsible for composing “Told You So”. They are Uzoechi Emenike (“MNEK”), Rachel Keen (“Raye”) and Eyelar Mirzazadeh. Based on this information, it is abundantly clear that not a single member of Little Mix contribute to the writing of this girl power anthem.
- MNEK not only co-wrote this song but he also took care of its production duties. MNEK is an English songwriter, singer and producer. Throughout his career, he has written and produced for the likes of Madonna, Dua Lipa and Beyoncé.
- “Told You So” was released on November 9, 2018 as a promotional single from LM5. LM5 is Little Mix’s fifth studio album. On that album are female empowering hits such as “Woman Like Me” (feat. Nicki Minaj) and “Joan of Arc“.
- “Told You So” is officially the ninth track on LM5.
- All members of Little Mix contribute vocals to this track.
- The title of this song is often mistaken to be “I Told You So”. But in actual fact, the pronoun “I” is not included in the title. The song’s official title is “Told You So”.