Meaning of “Who Hurt You?” by Daniel Caesar
“Who Hurt You?” is a song by Canadian singer and songwriter Daniel Caesar. In “Who Hurt You?”, Caesar talks about how a certain woman named Priscilla leaves him mesmerized and makes him feel “so primal”.
The woman (Priscilla) that Caesar is addressing in the song is a real person. Prior to the song’s release, he placed a personal advertisement on Craigslist’s Missed Connections section. In the ad, Caesar was looking for a dancer he met at a club in Follies, Atlanta. He liked this dancer so much, he threw over $3000 on her throughout the night. In the end, she gave him her number but he ended up misplacing it after he lost his phone. He was therefore using the ad on Craigslist to try to find her. He ended the ad by telling her he had written a song about her titled “Who Hurt You?”
Below is a copy of the personal ad that Caesar posted on Craigslist. It is noteworthy that Caesar also posted the ad link on his Twitter account.
As of October 17, 2018, the ad was still on Craigslist.
Facts about “Who Hurt You?”
- The track was written by Daniel Caesar.
- Music producer Matthew Burnett co-produced this song with fellow producer Jordan Evans.
- The track features additional vocals from American rapper/singer T-Pain.
- “Who Hurt You?” was officially released on October 16, 2018.
- Caesar doesn’t use the song’s title in the lyrics.
- “Who Hurt You?” became the first track that Caesar released in 2018 as lead artist.
Is this the first collaboration between T-Pain and Daniel Caesar?
Yes. This track was the first time that both Caesar and T-Pain worked together.
Why haven’t you posted the audio of “Who Hurt You?”?
Certain lyrics of this track are too profane to be put here. We shall updated this post with a clean version of the track the moment we get one.