Meaning of “Why” by NF
“Why” is a song in which the American rapper/writer, NF, glorifies his high level of success but at the same time questions the ultimate meaning of it all. Furthermore he ponders over the direction his life is going and indeed the validity of popular concepts in society, such as success.
Other major themes of this track include the artist not feeling he’s part of the mainstream, pent-up aggression and depression as made evident by the symbolism used in the music video, which was released on the same day as the track. The song also has a few verses that express the singer’s insecurity. Ultimately this track has a joyful premise (success) but a painful conclusion (confusion).
“I kinda feel guilty ’cause I’m wealthy” – NF
Quick Facts about “Why”
- The song features production by music producers Tommee Profitt and Cole Walowac. NF also receives songwriting credit on this track since he worked with Walowac and Profitt in producing the song.
- In addition to producing this track, the trio also co-wrote it.
- “Why” was released on June 18, 2018. The song was released through NF’s own label NF Real Music LLC in conjunction with Capitol Records.
- Despite the song being a solid hip hop song, NF doesn’t swear even once in it.
- The music video of “Why” was directed by NF himself and Patrick Tohill.
- “Why” became NF’s third single release in 2018 when it came out in June.
- NF mentions one of his biggest hits (“Let You Down“) in this track. He talks about how it went triple platinum and brought him success. FYI: “Let You Down”, which came out in 2017, single-handedly gave NF global fame.
Which album is “Why” on? Is it on the Perception album?
No, it isn’t on the album Perception. It was released as a non-album single. However, it’s possible it would appear on NF’s fourth studio album.
IT IS NOT JUST A HIT, BUT THE ONE THAT INSPIRES EVERY LISTENER
very true and im suprised that he did not sweat not a single time
His songs are really relatable and they make me feel better. This is one of my favorites!
i litterally feel this song. this song explains me sooo much. my mom says I’m depressed. i live in a wealthy family. and I’m suicidal. this song is my spirit animal
Please get help somehow if you have suicidal thoughts, life can be bad, but please don’t hurt yourself. There is always another way to fix life.
You spelled literally wrong and you didn’t use capitalization. Or proper spacing. Sorry for being a menace.
Bro, not to be rude, but to only think of proper grammar and punctuation when that peep just listed all the issues they got…
one of my favorite songs ever and for those who are suicidal and or depressed, I feel u and was once there. however keep trying to make urself happy and do the things you love.
Anyways, NF’s songs are super relatable and they make me feel good about everything that has been going on and makes me feel like I’m not alone
Best part is the absence of swears and yet he still keeps things so raw and honest. Yes, I relate to this so much
nf is like medicine. He can be good for you but at the same time he is addictive
NF is amazing!! this song is so good and it really has a good message!
i love him and his music so much! i want him to go on tour so so so so bad! i really would love to see him live!! that would be the best especially since i’ve never been to a concert before!