Meaning of “7 Years” by Lukas Graham
“7 Years” is a song by the popular Danish band Lukas Graham which basically deals with the topic of growing older. According to Lukas Graham lead vocalist Lukas Forchhammer, the song is about events in his life and the things he hopes to achieve in the coming years. One of the real events of his life he mentions in the lyrics of the song is “smoking herb” and taking burning alcoholic beverages. And what’s interesting is the he did these at the age of 11.
Speaking with Radio.com, Forchhammer said the song is mainly about his aim to become a good father. He hopes to become such a wonderful father that even when he is old and boring, his children would want to visit him frequently. According to him, he had a “perfect father” who was very cool. Owing to this, his dreams in life are to become as cool as his father was.
Why do the lyrics of “7 Years” end at 60 years?
According to Forchhammer, the reason is because his father died at the age of 61. His father’s death was what motivated him to write this track and a number of the band’s biggest songs.
- “7 Years” was written by Lukas Graham’s lead vocalist Lukas Forchammer along with three other songwriters. They are Morten Ristorp (also known as Rissi), Stefan Forrest and Morten Pilegaard (also known as Pilo).
- The song’s production was handled by the song’s co-writers: Pilegaard and the Future Animals (Morten Ristorp and Stefan Forrest).
- The song was released on September 18, 2015. It was the third single from the band’s second studio album titled Lukas Graham (also called the Blue Album).
- Having sold over 10.4 million digital copies in 2016 alone, “7 Years” became one of the most successful songs to ever come out from Denmark.
- The tune was placed at the seventh position on the list of the world’s best-selling songs of 2016.
- “7 Years” was so successful it peaked at the number 1 position in numerous countries across the globe, including in the United Kingdom, Australia, Denmark, Ireland and New Zealand. On the US Billboard Hot chart, the song peaked at number 2.
- Having sold over 2 million copies in the United States alone in 2016, “7 Years” became the fourth best-selling song in the United States in 2016.
- Just like any other successful song in the history of music, “7 Years” has also been covered by numerous artists over the years. Some of these artists include Jasmine Thompson, Conor Maynard and Linkin’ Bridge.
Did “7 Years” win a Grammy Award?
No. The song received three Grammy nominations at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards in 2017. It was nominated in the following categories: Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance. It didn’t win in any of the categories. For example, it lost the Song of the Year award to Adele’s “Hello”.