Meaning of “7 Years” by Lukas Graham
“7 Years” is a song by the popular Danish band Lukas Graham which basically deals with the topic of growing older. According to Lukas Graham lead vocalist Lukas Forchhammer, the song is about events in his life and the things he hopes to achieve in the coming years. One of the real events of his life he mentions in the lyrics of the song is “smoking herb” and taking burning alcoholic beverages. And what’s interesting is the he did these at the age of 11.
Speaking with Radio.com, Forchhammer said the song is mainly about his aim to become a good father. He hopes to become such a wonderful father that even when he is old and boring, his children would want to visit him frequently. According to him, he had a “perfect father” who was very cool. Owing to this, his dreams in life are to become as cool as his father was.
Why do the lyrics of “7 Years” end at 60 years?
According to Forchhammer, the reason is because his father died at the age of 61. His father’s death was what motivated him to write this track and a number of the band’s biggest songs.
Facts about “7 Years” by Lukas Graham
- “7 Years” was written by Lukas Graham’s lead vocalist Lukas Forchammer along with three other songwriters. They are Morten Ristorp (also known as Rissi), Stefan Forrest and Morten Pilegaard (also known as Pilo).
- The song’s production was handled by the song’s co-writers: Pilegaard and the Future Animals (Morten Ristorp and Stefan Forrest).
- The song was released on September 18, 2015. It was the third single from the band’s second studio album titled Lukas Graham (also called the Blue Album).
- Having sold over 10.4 million digital copies in 2016 alone, “7 Years” became one of the most successful songs to ever come out from Denmark.
- The tune was placed at the seventh position on the list of the world’s best-selling songs of 2016.
- “7 Years” was so successful it peaked at the number 1 position in numerous countries across the globe, including in the United Kingdom, Australia, Denmark, Ireland and New Zealand. On the US Billboard Hot chart, the song peaked at number 2.
- Having sold over 2 million copies in the United States alone in 2016, “7 Years” became the fourth best-selling song in the United States in 2016.
- Just like any other successful song in the history of music, “7 Years” has also been covered by numerous artists over the years. Some of these artists include Jasmine Thompson, Conor Maynard and Linkin’ Bridge.
Did “7 Years” win a Grammy Award?
No. The song received three Grammy nominations at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards in 2017. It was nominated in the following categories: Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance. It didn’t win in any of the categories. For example, it lost the Song of the Year award to Adele’s “Hello”.
wow that was a lot to take in
I wonder what he means when he says ,
“ some I had to leave behind, sorry brother”.
His brother died of depression.
no that a was message on twitter he was reacting to
This song is so powerful and I really do understand the mean of this song …
FABULOUS song. It deserved to win something, but we all know the Grammys are bias :/
I love this song so much but sometimes it makes me cry….
Dear Lukas graham you are an amazing person to sing this song like 7 year old I like your song gand good job to sing it my name is Alex I live in Payson Arizona and we loved your a amazing song thanks
I love your song I love it
this is such a touching song. every time I get in the car I love singing this song. u really hit the jackpot Lukas. I LOVE U!!!!
Its such a soul touch to me since, it says something about me and my late grandmother who took great care of me till she past on her 60s too. I like to do the cover dia for you and for her. Am stardom J.(Joel Santa) from Uganda, Gulu.
Soul touching song” when I hear this song it really meant for me its like The owner who sang it was my brotha”
I so love this song, anything time I listen to it I always feel like crying…..I LOVE THIS SONG♥️♥️
I wonder who is his wife
The song is so cool
It’s so emotional it makes me want to cry it a great song 20/10
And I felt his emotions in my hart wonderful song again
what does he mean when hes says i made man very happy when i wrote a letter once
I think that line means to show how as you get older, you start to pay attention to and seek happiness in the smaller parts of life. He’s saying that when he’s sixty, he’s gonna be proud of things that are seemingly insignificant, like making someone’s day by writing a letter.
Love the song! What does the lyric I got my boys with me, at least those in favor mean?
i love you so much
This song is so powerful in so many ways
Lukas is such an Inspiration in so many different ways! I’m learning that, the more you pain you go through, the more you actually emotionally hurt, the wiser you become, artistically, spiritually, and emotionally! I’m learning this at 50, with all of my STRENGTH THROUGH MY PAIN! I LOVE THE ENTIRE ALBUM!
Such A Superb And Inspirational Song 😉
Dang such a deep and meaningful song…LOVE IT