Meaning of “Finesse (Remix)” by Bruno Mars and Cardi B
“Finesse” is a song by American singer and songwriter Bruno Mars featuring American rapper Cardi B. The word finesse can be used as a noun or verb. When used as a noun, it refers to “great skill”. When used as a verb, it refers to the process of properly handling a person or a situation in a way that is often deceitful.
You can view the lyrics, alternate interprations and sheet music for Bruno Mars's Finesse (Remix) at Lyrics.org.
In the lyrics of “Finesse”, Bruno Mars is obviously referring to the noun version of finesse, where he is talking about going out with his partner and having fun while doing something (probably his brilliant dance moves or something else) with an abundance of style and skill to the amazement of others. Hence the famous line “drippin’ with finesse”.
To drip with something basically means you have an abundance of that thing that you are overflowing with it. So in the song, when Mars says he is “dripping with finesse”, he is basically saying he has so much of finesse (a skill) that he is overflowing with it.
On her part, rapper Cardi B raps about her upbringing in the Bronx and how she used to work as a stripper before gaining worldwide stardom as a rapper. She concludes her rap by also talking about “drippin’ in finesse” and getting lots of money at the same time.
Facts about “Finesse”
- The song was written by Bruno Mars and a host of other songwriters, including his longtime songwriting partner Philip Lawrence of The Smeezingtons fame, Cardi B, Brody Brown, and James Fauntleroy.
- The song was released on January 4, 2018 as the fifth single from Mars’ third Grammy Award winning studio album 24K Magic.
- The production of the song was handled by the Grammy Award winning production team The Stereotypes and the production trio Shampoo Press & Curl, which consists of Mars, Philip Lawrence and Brody Brown.
- “Finesse” sounds quite similar to Michael Jackson’s 1992 hit song “Remember The Time”.
- Mars directed the music video of “Finesse” along with music video director Florent Dechard.
- The song’s music video, which features famous American dancer Danielle Polanco, was inspired by the 1990s sketch comedy TV series In Living Color. According to Mars, In Living Color is one of his favorite sketch comedies of all time.
- “Finesse” was commercially successful in several countries across the globe, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Croatia and France. On the UK Singles Chart, the song peaked at number 5. On the US Billboard Hot 100, it made it to the number 3 position.
Did “Finesse” win a Grammy Award?
The song didn’t win a Grammy. However, Mars and Cardi B performed it live at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards on January 28, 2018 at the Madison Square Garden in New York City.