Meaning of “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5 (featuring Cardi B)
“Girls Like You” is a love song recorded by the American pop rock band Maroon 5 featuring American rapper Cardi B. The lyrics of “Girls Like You”, among other things, see the singer (Adam Levine) heaping oceans of gratitude upon the woman in his life. He thanks her for putting up with him through very challenging times in the their love affair and lets her know how much he needs her.
Facts about “Girls Like You”
- The song was written by Adam Levine and five other songwriters, including rapper Cardi B. The four other writers are Gian Stone, Canadian record producer and songwriter Henry Walter (best known as Cirkut), American songwriter Starrah and American record producer and songwriter Jason Evigan.
- Levine is the only member of Maroon 5 to have contributed to the writing of the song.
- Two of the song’s writers, Evigan and Cirkut handled the production of the track.
- “Girls Like You” was recorded somewhere in 2017 and released on June 5th, 2018 as the third single from Maroon 5’s sixth studio album titled Red Pill Blues.
- “Girls Like You” topped the charts in a number of countries, including Lebanon, Singapore, Canada and the United States. On the UK Singles Chart, it peaked at number 7.
- Upon reaching number 1 Billboard Hot 100, this tune gave Cardi B her third number 1 hit in her home country. As for Maroon 5, that feat gave them their fourth chart-topper in the United States.
- Maroon 5 performed this track live for the first time on 30th May, 2018 at their sixth concert tour (the Red Pill Blues Tour) at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Washington.
- The music video for this track, which was officially released on 30th May, 2018, was directed by American film director David Dobkin. Dobkin is famous for directing such films as 2005’s Wedding Crashers and 2014’s The Judge.
Music Video for “Girls Like You”
In addition to featuring appearances from Cardi B and all members of Maroon 5, the song’s music video also features over a dozen prominent female personalities. Levine’s daughter Dusty Rose and his Namibian born model wife Behati Prinsloo also appear in the music video. The video, which bears a striking resemblance to the music video of Drake’s 2018 hit song “Nice for What”, features the following inspirational female celebrities:
- American comedian Franchesca Ramsey
- English model and actress Millie Bobby Brown
- American television host and comedian Ellen DeGeneres
- American singer Jennifer Lopez
- American snowboarder Chloe Kim
- American soccer player Alex Morgan
- American singer and songwriter Mary J. Blige
- American actress Beanie Feldstein
- Cuban-American singer Camila Cabello
- American comedian Phoebe Robinson
- American gymnast Aly Raisman
- American comedian Sarah Silverman
- Israeli actress Gal Gadot who is best known for playing the character Wonder Woman
- Canadian vlogger and YouTube personality Lilly Singh
- American author Amani Al-Khatahtbeh
- American actress Trace Lysette
- American comedian and actress Tiffany Haddish
- Undocumented American immigration activist Angy Rivera
- Former American professional open-wheel racing driver Danica Patrick
- Somali-born American politician Ilhan Omar
- American actress Elizabeth Banks
- American model Ashley Graham
- British singer Rita Ora
- American activist Jackie Fielder
The song’s video sheds light on different identity politics, social movements and pertinent social issues in America ranging from issues of immigration to Islamophobia. According to the video’s director, they wrote personal letters to each of the female celebrities that was featured on the video.
What musical genre is “Girls Like You”?
It is a pop song. It can also be referred to as a pop rock song.