Meaning of “Love Lies” by Normani and Khalid
“Love Lies” is a love song recorded and performed by American singers Normani (of Fifth Harmony fame) and Khalid. Lyrically, the song sees the two singers (Normani and Khalid), who are romantically interested in each other, wanting some reassurance from each other before they proceed with the relationship. Hence they entreat each other to show each other where each other’s “love lies”. This way, they both can each get the reassurance they are desperately looking for to begin the relationship.
In a 2018 interview with Zane Lowe on his show on Beats 1, Normani said the song meant so much to her personally.
Facts about “Love Lies”
- “Love Lies” was co-written by Khalid and Normani alongside three other songwriters, including American singer-songwriter and actress Taylor Parks (also known as Tayla Parx). The other two songwriters are Ryan Vojtesak and Jamil Chammas.
- The track’s production was taken care of by American musician and music producer Jack Antonoff of the bands Bleachers and Fun. Antonoff produced the track along with Charlie Handsome and Jamil Chammas (who also co-wrote the song).
- “Love Lies” was released on Valentine’s Day of 2018 (February 14, 2018) as the 2nd of the 2 singles from the soundtrack album of the romantic teen comedy film Love, Simon. This song is also Normani’s debut single as a solo artist.
- Contrary to what many believe, “Love Lies” isn’t the first time that Khalid and Normani have worked together. Several months earlier, Normani had appeared in the music video of Khalid’s 2017 hit single “Young Dumb & Broke“.
- Upon debuting at number 43 on the US Billboard Hot 100, “Love Lies” became the highest debut solo entry into the Hot 100 by a member of a girl group. Kelly Rowland of Destiny’s Child initially held that record when she and rapper Nelly’s 2002 song “Dilemma” made its debut at number 53 on the Hot 100.
- “Love Lies” went on to peak at number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100. On the UK Singles Chart, it peaked at number 12.
- This track has a total run time of 3 minutes and 21 seconds.
- The music video of “Love Lies” was directed by two music video directors: Christopher Renz and Gerard Bush.
- One of the most notable places where the pair has performed this song live was at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards. That performance played a monumental role in propelling the success of the track.
What musical genre is “Love Lies”?
It is purely an R&B track.
Does “Love Lies” contain any samples?
This track doesn’t sample any song.
What awards has “Love Lies” won?
At the 2018 Teen Choice Awards, the song beat its popular counterparts such as “God’s Plan” by Drake and “Let You Down” by NF to win the Choice R&B/Hip-Hop Song. Here are some other famous songs that won Teen Choice Awards.