“Sicko Mode” by Travis Scott
“Sicko Mode” is a song by American hip hop recording artist Travis Scott. The song features three artists, namely Swae Lee, Big Hawk and Drake. The lyrics of this track, among other things, see the rappers (Scott and Drake) boasting about their insane work ethic. According to them, their competition can’t stand them when they go into “sicko” or beast mode.
What is the meaning of “Sicko”?
It is the name used in describing the friends of Drake as a collective. The term, which is also known as “6icko”, comes from two area codes Drake’s hometown Toronto, Canada. The first time Drake used the term “sicko” in a song was on his 2016 single “Summer Sixteen”. In that track, he called himself a “real sicko”.
In this track, Drake uses the term to refer to the extraordinary beast mode that when they shift into make them unstoppable.
Who is Big Hawk and where is he featured in the song?
Big Hawk (also known as H.A.W.K.) was an American rapper who was shot dead in 2006. He was only 36 years old at the time of his death. Big Hawk was famed for being a founder and member of the Houston based hip hop group the Screwed Up Click. As to where Big Hawk is featured, you can hear his sampled vocals at the song’s bridge along with Swae Lee.
Shortly after “Sicko Mode” came out, Travis Scott took to Twitter to express his gratitude to the team of Big Hawk. According to him, he was thankful to them for giving him the permission to “keep his legacy going”.
Music Video for “Sicko Mode”
Watch the official music video of “Sicko Mode” below. It was directed by American music video director Dave Meyers and released on October 19, 2018. It is important that we mention that the release date of this video also happens to be the birthday of its director Meyers. Just within 15 hours of the release of the video, it garnered over 4 million views on YouTube!
Facts about “Sicko Mode”
- “Sicko Mode” was written by Travis Scott, Drake, Swae Lee and 7 other artists.
- Renowned record producers CuBeatz, Ozan Yildirim, Hit-Boy, Tay Keith and Rogét Chahayed took charge of the production of “Sicko Mode”.
- This track first came out on August 3rd, 2018 as the second single from Scott’s third studio album Astroworld.
- The phrase “Sicko Mode” appears only once throughout the song. And in the only instance that it appears, it is mentioned by Drake.
- The track made its debut on the US Billboard Hot 100 at number 4. On the UK Singles Chart, it peaked at number 9.
- Since Big Hawk’s death in 2006, he has been featured on multiple tracks. “Sicko Mode” is so far the most successful of them all.
Is this the first time Travis Scott and Drake have collaborated?
Not at all. This track marks the third time both artists have collaborated. The pair first worked together on Drake’s 2015 song “Company”. They teamed up again in 2017 to work on Drake’s “Portland”.
Prior to this track, had Drake and Swae Lee ever worked together?
No. This is the first time both artists have collaborated.
What about Travis Scott and Swae Lee? Is this their first collaboration?
No. The pair had collaborated in the past prior to working on “Sicko Mode”.
Does “Sicko Mode” make use of samples?
Yes, it does. This track samples at least two songs. The first one being “Gimme the Loot” by the late American rapper The Notorious B.I.G. “Gimme the Loot” came out in 1994. The second sample is singer the 1992 track “I Wanna Rock” by American rapper Uncle Luke (also known as Luke).