Meaning of “Nice for What” by Drake
“Nice for What” is a song by Canadian hip hop act Drake. Lyrically, the song does a great job promoting women empowerment. In the track, Drake raps about the hustles women have to go through to not only make ends meet but also make names for themselves on the world stage.
The lyrics pay the utmost respect to the various forms of struggles that women have to undergo to make it in life. They also shed light on the fact that as if all the hustle isn’t enough, women also have to deal with relationship issues too and being single mothers. With this song, Drake tells the women of the world that he is aware of their extraordinary struggles and that he respects them a lot. He goes on to encourage them to keep on hustling their ways to the top against all odds while enjoying their beautiful lives.
Facts about “Nice for What”
- The song was written by over a dozen famous songwriters, including Drake, Lauryn Hill, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Ol’ Dirty Bastard and Murda Beatz.
- “Nice for What” was produced by a total of four music producers, namely Canadian producer Murda Beatz, American music producer BlaqNmilD, Canadian music producer Noah James Shebib (best known by the moniker 40) and Cory Litwin (who is also a producer from Canada).
- The song heavily samples the 1998 hit single “Ex-Factor” by American singer Lauryn Hill of The Fuges fame.
- “Nice for What” was officially released on April 6, 2018 as the lead single from “Scorpion”, which is Drake’s fifth studio album.
- The song’s title “Nice for What” appears only two times in the song’s lyrics.
- The music video, which was directed by renowned Canadian music video director Karena Evans, starred a host of very famous and powerful female celebrities, including Zoe Saldana, Rashida Jones, Tiffany Haddish, Michelle Rodriguez, Emma Roberts, Misty Copeland, Letitia Wright, Issa Rae and Syd.
- American musician Big Freedia’s voice is featured on the song. Freedia’s voice is the voice you hear in the song’s intro and its first bridge. Speaking to The Fader, Freedia said she was “super excited” to have her voice included in the track.
- The song debuting at number one on both the UK Singles Chart and the US Billboard Hot 100, thereby making it Drake’s fifth song to hit the number one spot in the United States. In achieving this feat, “Nice for What” replaced Drake’s own song “God’s Plan” from the number one position to occupy that position.
Full List of Female Celebrities that Appeared in the music video of “Nice for What”
Below is the complete list of famous females figures who starred in the music video of Drake’s “Nice for What”:
- Olivia Wilde: Irish born American actress, director, activist and model famous for starring in the television series House. Her other notable works include starring in such films as 2007’s Alpha Dog, 2011’s Cowboys & Aliens, and 2015’s Meadowland.
- Misty Copeland: A renowned American ballet dancer. In 2015, Time magazine included her in its list of the 100 most influential people in the world.
- Issa Rae: American actress, web series creator and director famed for such works as the TV series Insecure and the popular internet series Awkward Black Girl.
- Rashida Jones: An American singer, actress and writer famed for starring on the hit comedy TV series Parks and Recreation and in hit films, including 2010’s The Social Network and 2011’s Muppets.
- Jourdan Dunn: A British actress and supermodel considered one of the top-earning models of her generation.
- Tracee Ellis Ross: An American actress, comedian and model famed for starring in the comedy series Girlfriends. She is the daughter of the legendary American singer Diana Ross.
- Tiffany Haddish: An American actress and comedian who first gained international stardom after appearing on the TV drama If Loving You Is Wrong.
- Yara Shahidi: An American actress famous for starring on the sitcom Black-ish.
- Zoe Saldana: An American actress renowned for starring in such films as 2009’s Avatar, 2011’s Colombiana and 2013’s Star Trek into Darkness.
- Elizabeth and Victoria Lejonhjärta: Twin models and bloggers from Sweden. Their popularity soared after appearing in the music video of “Nice for What”.
- Letitia Wright: A Guyanese-born actress who is now British. Wright is known for playing the character Shuri in the hit film Black Panther.
- Bria Vinaite: A Lithuanian born American actress known for starring in such films as The Florida Project and The Beach Bum.
- Emma Roberts: An American actress famous for starring in films such as 2008’s Wild Child and 2010’s Valentine’s Day.
- Syd: An American singer and DJ who in addition to being famous for her solo career is also known for being a member of the band The Internet and the hip hop group Odd Future.
- Michelle Rodriguez: An American actress famed for starring in the Fast and Furious film franchise and the hit TV series Lost.