Meaning of “God’s Plan” by Drake
“God’s Plan” is a trap song performed by renowned Canadian rapper Drake. The lyrics of the song cover a number of important themes in Drakes life. These issues range from his fame to his wealth to the enemies around him wishing “a lot of bad things” on him. Drake uses the song to talk about his successful journey through the music industry and how he has been able to surmount all the obstacles placed in his way by his enemies/haters and move from grace to grace.
He concludes that everything is the good Lord’s plan and that he certainly couldn’t have achieved all the remarkable things he has achieved in his life without the help of God.
In the song, Drake also pays homage to some of his very close friends, including rapper FIF Money, who was killed in January 2016 after he exchanged gunfire with police. Drake goes as far as stating that he tattooed FIF’s face on his arm.
Aside from Fif, Drake also mentions the names of his longtime producer Noah Shebib (better known as 40) and his manager, business partner and friend, Oliver El-Khatib.
Facts about “God’s Plan”
- “God’s Plan” was written by Drake along with a myriad of writers, including Noah James Shebib (also known as 40), Ronald LaTour (also known as Cardo), Matthew Jehu Samuels (also known as Boi-1da) and Daveon Jackson.
- “God’s Plan” was produced by most of its writers. Here is the complete list of producers who worked on the song’s production: Yung Exclusive, Noah Shebib, Mathew Samuels and LaTour.
- The song was officially released on January 19, 2018 as the first single from Drake’s second EP titled “Scary Hours”. The song is also the first single from Drake’s fifth studio album “Scorpion”. FYI “Scary Hours” contains only two songs. The second song on the album is “Diplomatic Immunity”, which was also released on January 19, 2018.
- According to Drake, the entire budget for the production of the music video of “God’s Plan” cost almost $1 million. However, he gave almost all that amount of money away to several residents and organizations in Miami, including the Miami Fire Rescue Department during the shooting of the video, which took place at Miami High School. The beginning of the song’s official music video itself states that almost all the $1 million budgeted for the production of the video was given away to charity.
- “God’s Plan” peaked at number 1 in several countries around the globe, including Australia, Drake’s home country of Canada, Denmark, Germany, Ireland and Sweden. It also reached number 1 on the UK Singles Chart as well as the US Billboard Hot 100.
- Upon debuting at the number 1 position on the US Billboard Hot 100, the track became the second song of Drake’s entire career to achieve that feat.
Here is the official music video for Drake’s “God’s Plan”: