Meaning of “Suncity” by Khalid (ft. Empress Of)
“Suncity” is a song performed in the English and Spanish languages by American singer-songwriter Khalid. The track also features vocals from Latin American singer Empress Of. The song, which begins with a chorus, finds Khalid asking someone special to him to take him to a sunny city. It is not clear if he is actually referring to an actual city or he is using that city as a metaphor to refer to something else. But whatever it is, the city of sun refers to a place of happiness and fun that that special person can take him to.
All in all, the narrator can’t wait to be with the object of his desire. He ends the song by sending her a ton of hugs and expressing the hope that he sees her soon.
Update: It is also possible that the “Suncity” Khalid is referring to could be his beloved El Paso, Texas. Why? Because the nickname for El Paso is “Sun City”.
Facts about “Suncity”
- Khalid co-penned “Suncity” with Empress Of and four others, including Charlie Handsome and DJDS. The latter two produced the song along with DJDS.
- Neither Khalid nor Empress Of (whose real name is Lorely Rodriguez) played any role in the song’s production.
- The song was released on October 19, 2018. It is the last track on Khalid’s 2018 EP also titled Suncity.
- Contrary to popular belief, “Suncity” isn’t the first time in Khalid’s entire career that he is collaborating with Empress Of. Khalid and Empress Of first worked together on the song “Why Don’t You Come On”. That song was a collab between DJDS and Khalid. Empress Of was featured on it. The song was released in 2017.
- Khalid sings in both English and Spanish in this track. And despite the Spanish language not being Khalid’s mother tongue, he is able to use it fluently in the song. As for singer Empress Of, Spanish is her native language.
What are Khalid and Empress Of saying in the Spanish part of the song?
They are basically saying “take me to sunny city”.
Here is a rough translation of the lines from the Spanish lyrics in “Suncity”:
“Take me to the Sun City
Take me, take me
Where I left my heart”
Who sings the background of “Suncity”?
The background vocals are handled by Rosalía Vila. She is a Spanish singer and actress.