Meaning of “Young, Dumb and Broke” by Khalid
“Young, Dumb and Broke” is a song recorded and released by American singer and songwriter Khalid. Lyrically, the song is about the singer (Khalid) telling a girl he is romantically interested in that he is cool with the fact that they are “young”, “dumb” and “broke”. According to him, despite the fact that they are “young, dumb and broke”, they still have something important – love.
Speaking about the song to Genius.com, Khalid said that the track is about him being honest about the fact that he has once been a young, dumb and broke person.
Music video of “Young, Dumb and Broke”
The music video of this track, which was directed by American filmmaker and artist Calmatic, was shot in a real American high school and features a number of celebrities, including American singer Normani of Fifth Harmony fame. Normani would later go on and collaborate with Khalid on the hit single “Love Lies“. In the music video, Normani plays the role of Khalid’s Prom Queen. Other popular stars, who appeared in the video, include:
- American actor and singer Wayne Brady
- American actress and model Rachael Leigh Cook
- American actor Dennis Haskins
- American actor Will Peltz
- The Nigerian American R&B/Soul duo VanJess (Ivana and Jessica)
- American actor and comedian Kel Mitchell
Facts about “Young, Dumb and Broke”
- The song was written by Khalid, English singer-songwriter Talay Riely and the Grammy Award-winning producer and songwriter from New Zealand called Joel Little. Besides Khalid, Little has also worked with a number of other famous artists, including Sam Smith, Shawn Mendes, Lorde and Imagine Dragons.
- In addition to co-writing this track, Joel Little also produced it.
- The song was written in Joel Little’s house.
- The track was released on February 2, 2017 as the 2nd single from Khalid’s debut studio album entitled American Teen. The first single from that album was the track “Location“.
- This track is one of Khalid’s most successful songs. It reached number 1 in both the Philippines and New Zealand, which is the home country of the song’s co-writer Little. On the US Billboard Hot 100, it peaked at number 18. On the UK Singles, it peaked at number 17.
Did “Young, Dumb and Broke” win a Grammy Award?
No. However, the album on which it appeared, American Teen received a Grammy nomination in the category of the Best Urban Contemporary Album at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards.
Did “Young, Dumb and Broke” sample any song(s)?
This track doesn’t sample any song.